3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Dodge RAM computer issue (ECM)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
bfield3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge RAM computer issue (ECM)

A friend of mine has a 2002 RAM with a 4.7L and a 5 speed manual transmission. Truck started to have stalling issues and difficulty starting. Went to a mechanic, not a dealership, and was told the computer had crapped out. Mechanic said he would get a new one and install it for $1000.

Now I'm an OK mechanic, but when it comes to dealing with the electronics, especially the computer of the vehicle, I'm worthless :-) The mechanic said they have to find a computer that matches his vehicle and the only one they can find is about 2000 miles away.

The truck owner did some research and can find computers for as low as $300 (remanufactured) and has high as $800 for new.

So I was wondering what some of you guys thought about this? Does it really cost about $1000 to replace the computer on this vehicle? How hard is it to replace? Is it something where he could buy a "cheaper" one and install it himself? Sorry to be so naive on this, but I'm just clueless when it comes to the electronics of the vehicle. But I know I could remove an old computer and put in a new one if it was just unhooking connectors, replacing the unit, and hooking everything back up when done.

Thanks for the help....Bill

Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 AM
dodge me
Default RE: 2002 Dodge RAM computer issue (ECM)

I will let you know what it is going to cost me, I also have a 2002 dodge ram 4.7L and a 5 speed manual transmission and my computer is fried also and I will be taking it in to get a new one. It all started with my parking lights not working and after about6 hours of trouble shooting we were able to determine it was in the computer.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:58 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran
Default RE: 2002 Dodge RAM computer issue (ECM)

I would call the dealer and see how much a new computer is. Just the computer though not the install. If they tell you around 1000 bucks then try another dealer and see what they say. I'm thinking you should be able to find them cheaper but that doesn't always mean better. I'd be careful if you find one that's a lot cheaper than what the dealer says. Maybe try calling some auto parts stores too. I don't know if they deal with that sort of stuff though

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge RAM computer issue (ECM)