3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007 | 02:56 AM
firebug18
|
Default Steering Noise

Hello all, I have an 05 1500. I noticed a few days ago that all of a sudden when I turn the wheel im getting a strange humming/whining sound.. almost like a hydrolic pump when its got a heavy load on it. I have had the truck since it came off the assembly line and have never heard this noise before. I know some of the late 90's dodges had a similar problem when it gets cold out and owners had to warm their vehicles up for a while to get the steering pump/fluid warm. Its been around zero where I am and even if I let it warm up its gets better but wont go completley away, even after my 45 min ride home after work. Anyone else had a smilar type problem?

Old 02-10-2007 | 03:08 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Default RE: Steering Noise

check the fluid level, might seem like a stupid minor detail but you'd be suprised how many people overlooked it...on a side note, my truck has always made a little bit more noise then other ram's i've drove but no problems with it so i've just kinda lived with it....and you might also want to check the rubber lines going to the rack, they have a slight issue of leaking, quick fix is to get a hose clamp and replace the factory clamp...hope this helps

Old 02-10-2007 | 03:22 AM
firebug18
|

Thanx.. My fluid level is good, I just checked that, however I didnt check the lines, ill do that tomorrow. It hasnt affected the driving or handling, just got worried.. Strange new noise after 2 years.

Old 02-10-2007 | 03:35 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yah understandable, usually when we had a vehicle come in with that same noise it was 1 of 2 things: low on fluid or pump was startin to go bad...hopefully for you it isnt the latter

Old 02-10-2007 | 03:52 AM
firebug18
|

pump better not be bad.. only 30k miles on it.. Thanks for the info, ill give it a thorough lookover tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Steering Noise