3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cannot get AM Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:05 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cannot get AM Radio?

On my '03 Ram, I switched out the factory am/fm/cd/cassette radio for an am/fm/6-disc factory radio that came out of an '04. Everything was simple in the swap. The only problem is that I can't get any AM stations. It's not that there's static or anything.....they don't come in at all....just dead air.I know the radio worked when it came out of the '04. Anybody have a clue what might be wrong?

And yes....I know AM is lame, and I hardly ever even put it on, but sometimes it's nice to hear the traffic reports, or when you go into a park or something that has it's own AM station, it's cool to listen to it.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cannot get AM Radio?

Check attenna's and fuses and all of that stuff. And the connectors from the factory harness to the 04 head unit

Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
spinfreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I did check to make sure that all of the wires and the antenna was in place. Everything seems to be fine. Everything else works....fm/cd...heck, I even have my XM radio hooked into an fm modulator that plugs inline with the antenna...and that all works. It's wired exactly the same as it was with the "old" radio. All I did to swap was take the dash panel off, unplug the "old" radio, and plug in the new one. All of the onnectors seems to be secure.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 AM
mazz
Veteran

The inline XM hookup may be robbing the AM signal. Although, if it worked on the other radio, you'd think it would work on this one. FM signals will pull in even if the antenna is not connected, but not AM. AM depends on good contact all the way around. Either the AM band is dead in the RBQ radio, or there's a bad or corroded connection somewhere in the antenna system; or in fact, the XM hookup is robbing the AM signal.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:56 AM
BRINKLEY
Professional

was you able to get any stations before you swapped out? I know I can set mine to scan and it won't find a station one on AM

Quick Reply: Cannot get AM Radio?