3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Car Stereo Guru's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car Stereo Guru's?

I want to start off by saying ported does not = crappy sound quality. Yes ported boxes are louder than sealed if done right, but thats not their only purpose....unless you tune the box high. Ported boxes are much much more complicated to make and the slightest mistake in building and designing will make the sub sound like crap. Yes, its much easier for a sealed sub to sound better than a ported..jst bucz ported have to be perfect. But sometime you have subs that are designed stricly for use in a sealed or ported box and may never sound good in the wrong enclosure......Now.....subs under 150 that are better than sony
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8477.html
http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLASW1251
http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC05C124
The memphis and kickerare really the better choices here...as they are 200 and 150 rmsand you have a little over 100. I would say the kicker are your best match tho. And there is no real advantage by having your system all one brand...besides looks if they are designed to go together.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
squatchie16
Professional

So how much moutning depth will you have? And airspace? I would do a common-air sealed enclosure for the two. Well, really, i would do a single 15" somewhere else but i digress....

Check these subs out: http://www.tcsounds.com/db500.htm no marketing BS. If you can get about 1.4cuft per sub, these should provide you with a pretty good thump in the chest. They won't massage your backside, but it doesn't seem like you want that.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:30 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Those TC are great..as I stated in the a/v section. They have been on-sale at that price fora bit now tho, so if you are looking at them dont mess around...They are probably close to out of stock. But those are 400 rms....so I dont think they would be a good match with your amp.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Memphis makes a great woofer I forgot to mention them the mojo is a sick nasty SPL woofer in my opinion. Also i agree those tc's are not well matched fort the amp underpowering subs can also be harmful mainly due to the user not hearing distortion thinking they can go louder send the sub a clipped signal and then it fries.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Stroker
Veteran

Thanks for the help. I just bought a pair of these http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLASW125199.90 with shipping can't beat that. Ok so if I was to go ahead and get a different amp, what amp would you recomend. These subs are 350rms and 700(?) peak. And remember I'm a tightwad.As far as what music I listen too... Prince is in the cd player right now but I might be just as likely to listen to NIN or Slayer or Big and Rich or the beegees... I don't listen to country (Clasic country anyway)or rap though.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Stroker
Veteran

how bout this? http://www.cardomain.com/item/COUAMP600DB

Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 AM
shnormo
Veteran
Old 02-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Ben D.
Champion

well if they are 350 rms a piece i suggest a 700 or 800 rms amplifier. in car audio man you really shouldn't look at it as cheap stuff. You get what you pay for. and you bought the 4 ohm SVC models good choice because most amps make their best rms power at two ohms which when you wire two SVC woofers you get options when they are 4 ohms you can wire them to be 2 ohms or 8.that's just with wiring the subs not factoring if you were to bridge outputs on the amplifier which would cut that in half making it 1 ohm or 4 ohms. So look for an amplifier that makes somewhere between 500-1000 watts rms at 2 ohms and get that. don't cheap out i'm telling you. get a good brand like JL, rockford fosgate, memphis, clarion, alpine, Polk, kenwood, pioneer. Stay away from Sony xplod, Jensen, lightning audio.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Stroker
Veteran

WTF language was that? Might as well have been greek. Either way that one up above looks like it might be a choice to me. And 109 aint too bad a price. I might just ebat this Sony when it gets here and go that route. Now I just need to find one of you close to Conway who will work for whiskey or beer to help wire this thing up.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:14 AM
Ben D.
Champion

It is a decent amp but with the subs you bought you will only be able to run it at 4 ohms stereo. which will give you 300 watts rms to each sub when the amp has the capability to give 360 to each. the ohms they are the "resistance" of the subwoofer. Depending on how you wire the subwoofer you get a different resistance. When you have two single voice coil subs "SVC" you have two choices to wire them that give you 2 ohms or 8 ohms. you can't bridge the outputs because you would get a 1 ohm or 4 ohm resistance. 1 ohm would fry the amp and 4 ohms it doesn't make as much power as other options. since that amp is a class A/B and has two channels you can wire the subs up one to each channel which is the best option for you since you already bought subs. When you wire the subs seperately you get each sub to have a 4 ohm resistance. This will give you 300 watts to each subwoofer. Not bad but not the best. Another thing to factor in is that Class A/B amps are mroe suited forrunning mids/highs speakers than subs. Therefore the amp you have in the post right above Shnormo whihc is a Class D subwoofer amp is a better choice. Because it is made for a subwoofer. It will give you the same power as the power acoustick but it is meant for subs therefore I recommend that one. Either way they arn't the best out there but theywill still take a dump on that sony xplod. plus I like that the coustic is CEA-2006 compliant which is a standard for how amplifier specifications are measured. also with the coustic you're not paying for stuff you won't use that the power accoustic has. ie high pass crossover and the extra 120 watts that you can' t use. Get the coustic off cardomain.

Quick Reply: Car Stereo Guru's?