3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some opinions about exaust info from Midas !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
devildawg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some opinions about exaust info from Midas !?!?

There is a Midas right down the road from where I live that is currently running a Flowmaster special for 299 so I went to check it out yeasterday and the dude there tells me not to install flowmaster 40 series on a Hemi simply because you loose performance and gas miledge... he informed me that there was a specially made Flowmaster for the hemi that is a 70 series... or that i should look at magnaflow... what is everyone's thoughts on this? true? or horse (you know what) I have done alot of reading here and on pickuptruck.com and have heard no one discuss what the dude at midas has informed me of... i like the sound of a 40 and from what i have heard of sound clips on youtube magnaflow is kinda hit or miss too me... some sound ok some sound great (my opinion) ... I still have the stock exuast on my 04 1500 quad-cab hemi 4x4 and i miss setting off car alarms in an open parking lot!

Thanks [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 02-25-2007, 06:52 PM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: need some opinions about exaust info from Midas !?!?

Sounds to me like the guy at Midas was unable to impress you with his intelligence, so he tried to baffle you with his bull$h!t. FlowMaster makes a Hemi-specific 50, not a 70. There are plenty of people who have put the 40 on their Hemis. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I'd go elsewhere and forget about the dude at Midas. He does not seem to be very customer focused.

As far as MagnaFlow goes, I used to have a 14589 muffler on my stock setup (with an '03 Hemi Ram tailpipe). It sounded O.K. for about a year and a half, then it developed a terrible raspy sound. So I had it ripped off and put a DynoMax muffler on. It sounds so much better than the MagnaFlow ever did.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
pakaalbite
Professional

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+ram&hl=en

Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 PM
CatchMyDrift05
Rookie

F*CK the guy at MIDAS!!!!
This is how it happens, SAY:
"I choose muffler, YOU INSTALL!!!" money exchanges, and your off with a new sound....

Old 02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Where is this promotion? I saw it at a Midas in San Antonio as I was driving through, but I live in Austin and would love to find one up there as well, but I haven't noticed one yet.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:03 PM
devildawg

Sobomaster - I am in San Antonio so you probably saw the same one i see there at 281N and Thousand Oaks

Well after doing some more reading I am taking a real good look at that aero exaust ST3030 i have heard some sound bites from youtube and wow! course this is always subject to change! It kinda sounded like the guy from midas was a little full of it.... i havent heard any of those things mentioned in any of the forums! just thought i would pose the question.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Yup, that was the one. I'm just going to call a Midas up in Austin and see if they're willing to match. If not, I guess I can just hope they're still running it the next time I'm in SA. Let me know what you end up going with and if you're happy with how it sounds.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:23 AM
devildawg

ive seen that billboard up since before christmas so my guess is its comin down soon but then again it has been up for awhile so... the more i read and hear its lookin like i am going wtih that aero st3030 its only 190 somethin bucks from their website and its stainless! if i end up goin that route i'll be more than happy to share my experience!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 AM
SuperNotch

well I dont know wat this guys talking about I put a super 40 on instead of the 50 the kit comes with and I dont see how it could effect perf. if anything its increases cuz it smaller more straight thru and it sounds awsome... btw I live in canada and I got mine installed at Midas, I bought it elsewhere but brought it to the guy and he too was pumpin magnaflows tires, he had a point about the stainless pipes tho.... cheap flowmaster..

Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 AM
motorider228
Champion

Never get anything done at midas. I had my at3030 done there and the welds are disgusting and leak and they raped me for my $$$. Flowmasters are not good for performance though. They clog the exhaust up more than the stock system.

Quick Reply: need some opinions about exaust info from Midas !?!?