3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

towing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 PM
gnatsum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing?

hey guys i got an 03 v6 auto, would i be albe to trailer a 2700lb car a 150 miles or is that to much?

Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 PM
marv02
Captain
Default RE: towing?

I think it should where I live I see driver towing toyhauler trailers all the time with 4 cylnder mini Trucks.

You figure the trailer weights at least 2500 lbs+ or - 500 lbsplus whats in side a dirt bike weight average of 200 lbs each most likly they are hauling 2 so you looking at 3000 lbs or so plus what ever else they loaded up to go camping with.

Not saying you truck will not strain towing but it should pull you'er car just take it easy and wacth the Temp Gage you rather go slow in lower gear and get there 1 hourlatter than sit on the side of the HWY with a blown up truck becasue you were in a hurry to get there.

Good luck let us know how it pulled and worked out for you.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

I would say you would do fine, I have a 2006 dodge dakota 3.7 auto that I towed a 93 jeep cherokee on a dolly from Lima, ohio to Columbus, Ohio (100 miles) even without a tow hitch (just bumper hitch.) The curve weight for that is about 6000 pounds, so you will be fine. Good luck!!

Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 PM
marv02
Captain

I wold not pull something that heavy my self with just a bumper hicth I would invest in a draw tie type reciver Hicth For around $100.00.

I seen many trucks that towed heavy loads more than the stock bumper hicth mount called out for they were normaly all bent up.

Spend the cash you be a lot happyer in the long run.

I lived Back there in Dayton Oh My self for a while if I remeber right the roads around Lima Oh are pretty much flat roads you'r V-6 should pull you'r jeep around like I saids before take it easy it will do it dont drive it like it's a 18 wheeler.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Yeah, what marv said would be a good idea to just invest in a hitch. I kinda forgot that my dak is an 06 and they used rigid steel pipe to reinforce the bumper and such so it had a 200 pound tounge weight and a 3000 pound pull weight, but you see if you use a dolly the tounge weight dosnt matter because all the weight will be on the dolly, not the bumper. All I am saying is if I can tow a 6000 lbs truck with it and not have any problems, I would think you could tow a 2700 lbs car. As for how you are towing it, you are not flat towing it are you?

And marv, lima itself is pretty flat but once you start getting to belfountain it gets pretty damn hilly, im not saying this thing was a beast; you could tell somthing was on there when trying to accelerate and brake, but it did pretty good considering how much people put down the 3.7.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
somebodyinok
Professional

ORIGINAL: gnatsum

hey guys i got an 03 v6 auto, would i be albe to trailer a 2700lb car a 150 miles or is that to much?
I was just curious how this worked out for you.

Quick Reply: towing?