3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 PM
crochetj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI

whats the best intake for an 03' dodge ram 1500 for the money?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CAI

I feel the K&N kit, FIPK or 63 Series are always the best bets for a pickup. There plastic, not metal. They score better hp gains then the K&N metal counterparts, because they say the plastic is better at keeping heat off the tube. They dont sounds to loud because the plastic doesnt resonate as much, and there kits are quality.

Its all a matter of opinion of course. But I am the type that wouldnt use a cheapo, and Ive heard alot of good things about the K&N kits. There the fastest company to get there intakes to market, and they are usually the most specific to detail. for example, many companies make 1 intake for both the dodge 3.7l v6, and the 4.7l v8, because they can usually share the same intake in design and fit. K&N redesigned one for the v6 to squeeze a few extra hp out of it. Only company to do that. Also, When and if K&N ever finds a problem with one of there intakes, they have been recalled and either replaced with an improved model or the customer is refunded. Its happened very few times, but no other company for intakes have taken any action like that with defects.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Aero Ram
All Star

I gotta $300 dollar K&N 77 series intakes....looks great doesn't help much, slightly better throttle response but no noticable change in power claimed *up to*26 hp right well dyno shows 6.80 gains...crap really http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspxyou can look up your truck and engine too see what they show on your.....personally I'd go with AIRRAM he knows alot about our trucks and makes his own intakes lil cheaper and I better gains....checkitout http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...p;productid=10

Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 AM
motorider228
Champion

If you do your research and see dyno sheets and all that true flow make sthe best intake. I got rid of my volant for a true flow and could not be happier. Alot of people say K&N but NONE of the fast hemi guys are running a K&N intake. Most of them swear by either the afe, air ram or true flow. The true flow also has the best filter and it keeps the dirt out better than a cone style filter.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=14140

worth reading before spending money

Old 03-08-2007, 01:02 PM
sstclair00

I put one of the Ebay specials ($80)on my 06 Ram 1500...one that has 3 piece alum tubing and places a K&N cone filter behind the fog light area. The biggest area of improvement I noticed was in MPG...increased about 2 MPG for highway driving. The noise is mean, but the "sucking" noise from the transfer case hose can be somewhat annoying...you get used to it! Then I added Gibson Super Truck exhaust...wow...that is good stuff too!!!