3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow/Haul shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
johnontheroad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow/Haul shifting question

I have a new Dodge 3500 CTD auto and am towing a rather heavy trailer. I am following the manual that says to use "TOW/HAUL" when towing. All is well, but when I go up a hill (like a large roller) the tranny seems to downshift to second for a few seconds, the RPMs go up to about 3000, then it shifts to what appears to be 3d at about 2500 RPM until the hill is cleared. Is this normal?

I expected a direct shift to third from O/D, not this two step shifting.... any comments?

John

Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 PM
djr04
All Star
Default RE: Tow/Haul shifting question

I think the shifting in the 06/07's seems to be a little strange, like it downshifts a little too often. I don't know why chrysler chose to do this, my only guess is to make the hemi seem more peppy by sticking the truck in higher rpms at lower gears when you give it some gas. I would personally prefer the old school throttle control instead of this electronic throttle control.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

On my 04 the tow button is there to keep the tranny out of over drive. when it shifts down that's normal your engine picks up speed for the long haul up ward but went you get to speed it smooths out,right. ?And it only does that if you kick it.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:55 AM
CatchMyDrift05
Rookie

It is made to do that for the trucks computer tries to get you to the torque of the truck.. It basically trips the computer in the TOW/HAUL mode to think that you are on flat ground.. That's all.... Continue driving your truck as normal.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

Actually, unlike most other vehicles with this feature ie. my old 03 Avalanche, the T/H button does not keep it out of overdrive if you have the 545RFE transmission. It just keeps it out of 5th. 4th is an OD gear as well which, IMO, makes the T/H function of these trucks totally useless when pulling large loads over hilly terrain as you need to 1 to 1 ratio or, third gear only. The truck still hunts for a gear like crazy. I guess as long as I still have the 7/70 warranty, it's not anything I need to worry about - yet. Now johnontheroadhas the 3500 with the CD which I believe has the 4 sp auto so I do not know why his is hunting as much. My buddies 03 2500 does not hunt at all but he also has a Bully Dog programmer installed which, if it affects the newer diesls like it does his 03, I HIGHLY recommend. It's absolutely amazing.

Quick Reply: Tow/Haul shifting question