3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Have I been swindled?! 02 sensor problems, prices for repairing?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005 | 12:47 PM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: Have I been swindled?! 02 sensor problems, prices for repairing?...

It is not so easy to replace some O2 sensors.

Everybody seems to bash on mechanics, well if you're so smart do it yourself!!

I am not a mechanic, but I know a few, and all of them are very aware of the cost to the customer and work hard for below average salary. Both at dealerships and private garages.

Old 12-04-2005 | 09:49 PM
CrazyBee2481

thanks for puting it bluntly ! i just tried to say you pay for what you get !
ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

It is not so easy to replace some O2 sensors.

Everybody seems to bash on mechanics, well if you're so smart do it yourself!!

I am not a mechanic, but I know a few, and all of them are very aware of the cost to the customer and work hard for below average salary. Both at dealerships and private garages.

Old 12-05-2005 | 02:01 AM
frogslinger
Captain

exhaust sensors do work together... not directly mind you, but they are a before and after reading.... if you change one and the other is getting towards the end of its useful life the engine is going to throw a code... and just be glad you do not drive a z28, which has 4 O2 sensors...

Price seems a little steep, but not totally insane.

The repair is not particularly difficult, but given a price of 102 each, plau the 10-15 for the part, plue the 50 sh that it costs to have your codes read if you do not have an autotap scanner, and the penetrating lube and or impact wrench you are going to need... and the 20 mins to change it out, and the 25 mins jacking your truck up and down onto jackstands... etc etc etc... you probably do not save anything doing it yourself unless you are mechanically inclined, take pride in the fact that you fixed your own vehicle, and have already invested in some mechanical equipment. All it actually involves is unhooking a pigtail and undoing a bolt, doing up a bolt and hooking up a pigtail.

Case in point... went to swa the stereo in a girls PT cruiser... 8 mins start to finish to actually do it, 25 mins to drive down to the stereo shop to ask them how disassemble the dash... they would officially charged me 40 bucks to do it (I could have probably gotten it for free cause i am a good customer), but doing it myself was more fun.

Quick Reply: Have I been swindled?! 02 sensor problems, prices for repairing?...