3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission oil/filter change--done

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
LoFlyer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil/filter change--done

Just completed tranny fluid/filter change on 2005 4x4 hemi. Basically used the procedures listed in this great link: http://www.60ateight.com/DodgeRam/ . I decided to do the full 15 quart change which involved flushing the converter. Some of my experiences:
- I used a filter set by ATP. ATP is a tranny specialty co and makes a quality product. Filters were heavy duty and came covered with shrink wrap. I was initially going to go with a Mopar filter but makeitmopar site listed same filter for 4x4 and 4x2, I know they're different so I didn't order online. I didn't want to be under the truck to find out I had the wrong part. Wix carries the Ram filter set but it's a new item for them and hard to find.
- Using a power drill made job easier, especially when putting the pan back on. I broke/set torque by hand but let drill do most of the work.
- First change on 05 Ram is at 60k but I changed at 50. Tranny fluid was amazingly clear and bright. The two filter system works great. I'll probably do my next fluid change at 100k and make it a flush only with no pan drop. Magnet did have lots of fuzz though.
- The converter flush was easy. Used a 3/8 inch (size F) disconnect tool on the lower hose coming from the tranny cooler. Then put about 3 feet of 3/8 inch clear plastic hose on the aluminum line coming from the cooler and put the tube in an empty jug. When you start the truck the fluid comes from the converter, through the cooler then normally back to the tranny pan but this procedure diverts the fluid to another container vice the tranny pan. This is not a high pressure hose and it was easy to pour fluid into the tranny as fast as it was being dumped out. I poured mine into an empty 5 quart oil jug and cut the engine off when it was full. Fill up two 5 quart jugs and you're done. It's important here to know how much and how fast the fluid is coming out and to replace it at the same rate.
I also changed the transfer case fluid. Fluid was not nearly as bright as the tranny fluid. I'm going to change this again in 30k.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Transmission oil/filter change--done

I am going to sound likea idiot, but can you tell me how much transmission fluid the 1500 4x4 hemi holds. I want to go with a synthetic fluid and want to make sure to order enough. Also what fluid brand do you recommend?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
helopilot
Veteran

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

I am going to sound likea idiot, but can you tell me how much transmission fluid the 1500 4x4 hemi holds. I want to go with a synthetic fluid and want to make sure to order enough. Also what fluid brand do you recommend?
ATF+4 is a synthetic transmssion fluid.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:34 AM
reiderr
Professional

A full flush on the 545FRE is around 16 quarts. And, as helopilot points out, ATF+4 is all or mostly synthetic already. You can get Valvoline ATF+4 at Advanced Auto or Autozone for $4.69/quart. There's really no need to use anything else--although I have used Amsoil Universal ATF in my wife's Caravan and my Toyota Highlander with good results.

I do my trans every 30k mi and replace both the sump filter and the spin-on filter with NAPA parts and a gasket (can't stand the RTV) with a full 15 qt flush. I will admit, though, that it looks like a light duty service could easily go 45k to 60k between servicing. But, I'm too obsessive to wait that long.

I've also replaced my pan bolts with 10.3 grade chromed equivalents to avoid snapping and seizing problems. I only torque them to 9 ft/lbs (I'm so parnoid about snapping a bolt). I've never had any leaks.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil/filter change--done