3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Locking Differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:24 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Locking Differential

Some of you guys (not all, but some) needa bit ofeducation.
This is a great link to help clear up some of the differences between limited slip, lockers(auto and selectable) and an open diff.
Enjoy.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml#TrueTrac

2nd gen Dodges do not come with "lockers".
Locking differential does not = limited slip
There are four or five units available for the rear 9.25" diff in the third gen 1500. None for the front.
Zero electronics involved (no electric locker available for the 9.25)
Posi traction is GM'sname for"limited slip".

Old 03-22-2007, 04:41 AM
motorider228
Champion

I know I call the auburn a posi quite often but that is because it's much easier to type that than limited slip differential and if I put LSD everyone would always ask "what does LSD mean?"

Old 03-23-2007, 11:01 AM
79LRT
Professional

Where can I find a good Install shop near S.E. WI ? Thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 79LRT

Where can I find a good Install shop near S.E. WI ? Thanks
I lived in Kenosha for a few years and while i was there i used a great shop in Zion (just across the border in IL). Northwest Auto
847-872-2211
I'm not sure if the do gear work. They are a good bunch of guys and can direct you to a shop that does.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:29 AM
06POWERWAGON

dswan,
The "4 HI" versus "4 HI LOCK" refers to the transfer case locking the front and rear driveshafts.
It does not refer to the axel differentials.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:33 PM
bernhard
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Actually many of the 3rd gens have them front and rear

Originally Posted by kpj5br
3rd gen 4x4's do NOT automatically come with LSD or any type of locking/limited slip diff's, by default. I believe ONLY the power wagon has lockers by default (standard).

My 2006 is one of them that does not have locking/LSD either front or back, and it causes me major problems, so I too am in the market for replacement. I am liking the TruTrak (spelling possibly incorrect) based on what I've read so far, for the rear, but haven't seen anything for the front as of yet.
. Both of my 3rd gens have them my 2004 ram 2500 and my 2003 ram 1500 both spin all 4 regardless of if a tire is off the ground or not. You just have to know what package your truck has. Both my trucks are worlds different but they both have the offroad and tow packages which gives the 1500 the 545rfe trans which is the better of the trannys for the gas engines and it has the 9.25' rear diff which gives me a locking ability. The regular packages all had basic 8inch rear diffs and were either open or clutch driven rear ends. But thats why you'll see chevy diesel guys putting the 3rd gen 2500 gear set in ther pumpkins because of the locker. But I wouldn't bother putting anything for off-roading or really spending any money at all on a 2wd truck. Not saying to not upgrade it but I wouldn't bother for off-road. You'd be way further ahead of the game by buying a 4x4 truck to begin with. P.S. I have ran the local Chrysler shop for about 15yrs now thats why I know this. You can literally Google ( ram vid decode) and it should bring up the official Chrysler vin decode website and therr you can type your VIN and see every single detail about your vehicle and what packages and size rear ends and etc. It even tells you if you have limited slip or open or etc.

Quick Reply: Locking Differential