3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

StarrFlight,
Have your locker issues been resolved yet?
My 2005 has gone from so-so locker operation (when new)... to takes forever to lock... and then it decides to unlock all by itself after a couple of hundred feet or a few minutes, with the Serv 4WD light coming on and RR light flashing. My lockers worked fair up until a few months ago when I had my local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer perform a front and rear differential service. I took the truck in, to this same dealer, for this problem and they are able to diagnose it. Now I am stuck with locker operation problems worse than before! I might take it in to another dealer to see if they can better help me?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Tractor
Professional

Did they (or do they even know about it) clean all the fine metal particles off the locker magnet ? If not, then it was wasted money & fluid. As your looking at the rear diff with cover off, it is in the top left corner of diff. That is the most common problem. The next is corrosion in the plug connectors. Di-electric grease or Fluid Film (avail at any John Deere dealer) is your friend. Also on front sway bar, there is a rectangle looking plug/connector with a plastic flip lever. Carefully remove it, make sure it is spotlessly clean inside, dab a little di-electric grease in each of the many pin holes & put back together. I think the only time a new actualtor is needed, is if you continue to try to make it engage when it wont-over & over, it finally burns out.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 AM
The Bull
Professional

Originally Posted by M14
Manual override? Is this a Dodge part I can get as I would be interested.
ARB Air Lockers would be a nice up grade

Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

I ended up taking my truck to a different dealership where a technician actually knows about Power Wagons and their four wheel drive systems. They ended up replacing the rear locker actuator and a bearing. The lockers are working again...still takes a long time for them to engage...but at least locking again. They took care of the repair under the factory 7/70,000 Powertrain Warranty. Only had to pay the $100.00 deductible!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM
tmahan319

I am now going through the same issue with my power wagon. I went to check the actuator. I pulled the plug from the outside and found differential fluid in the plug. Is this normal, I am assuming not. I have 92k on the truck so no warranty and Dodge wants 380 for the actuator. I was wondering if anybody knows of aftermarket parts available?

Thanks Tabor

Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 PM
'08PW

hey guys....
new to this forum....ive owned my PW since april and had my PW out in the snow today...first chance to check out the lockers before hunting season and i could only get them to engage in low range?????.. and it was with a great deal of patience...like 15 min. Is this the norm? No lockers in high range?
i read and acticle that a guy posted to i think you tube and he was saying that the more a person uses the lockers the easier they engage....but no matter how much time went by theres no way they would engage in high range......any help or advice out there would be appreciated...thx.

Quick Reply: Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?