3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yet another Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007 | 05:49 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional
Default RE: Yet another Tire Question

I HAVE AN 02 RAM WITH THE PROCOMP 5IN LIFT AND MB MOTORING 18 IN WHEELS WITH -20 BACKSPACING AND THEY WILL NOT FIT THE WIDEST I CAN FIT IS A 35X12.50. A STOCK RAM WHEEL HAS -24 BACKSPACING. I AM RUNNING THE -20 BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO KEEP THE FRONT HUB BEARINGS FROM WEARING OUT TOO QUICKLY. BUT IF YOU RAN A WHEEL WITH SAY A DIFFERENT BACKSPACING YOU COULD PROBABLY GET THEM TO FIT. ALSO MY WHEELS AND TIRES ARE STILL FOR THE MOST PART TUCKED INTO MY FENDER. I DONT LIKE THE WHOLE TIRE STICKING 5IN OUTSIDE THE FENDER LOOK.

Old 03-27-2007 | 09:22 PM
schaady
Rookie

I have a 6inch lift on my 02QC and the widest that Les Schwab would put on was 12.50. But with the sidewall tread they are closer to 13.00. They do not rub.

Old 03-28-2007 | 08:25 PM
dirtydodge02
|
Banned

Atlantic, I'm not familiar with the reasons for changing your backspacing. You got any more info on that?

Old 03-29-2007 | 04:41 AM
atlaticblueram
Professional

the different backspacing on a wheel cause the wheel to sit either in the wheel well or out side of it. it also changes the way the vehicles weight is disbursed through your suspension. the more you change your backspacing the more stress you can put on balljoints,hub bearings, control arms things of that nature causing pre-mature failure.

The EFFECTS of BACKSPACE:
A smaller backspace such as 2" (negative offset) will make the track wider.
A larger backspace such as 6" (positive offset) will make the track narrower.
Please note that getting the correct track width for the cars design is usually more important than the positive or negative effects of changing backspace.

A.) The effects of small backspace (negative offset):
1.) Places the weight of the tire and wheel farther outboard, away from the suspension.
a.) Results in increased loads and stresses on wheel bearings, ball joints and control arm bushings.
b.) May also cause steering wheel kickback and increased steering effort, making the car harder to control during turning and cornering.
c.) Creates a greater scrub radius and increased tire scrub and wear as the steering center is way back behind the wheel centerline.

B.) The effects of large backspace (positive offset):
1.) Places the weight of the tire and wheel farther inboard and closer to the suspension.
a.) Too much may cause clearance problems with brake calipers, suspension parts, etc.
b.) Reduces loads and stresses on bearings and ball joints.
c.) Reduces steering effort, making the car easier to turn and corner.
d.) Reduces the scrub radius and reduces tire scrub and wear.

(courtesy of: http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/Terms-BS.htm)

Quick Reply: Yet another Tire Question