3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlights dimming

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Illinois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights dimming

Been experiencing headlights problems with my '06 4x4 w/THE HEMI. If I am driving at low RPMs, say around 1300or coming to a stop, my headlights will dim for about 2 seconds and then come back up to regular strength. This seems to occur more often when I am using more electrical items such as fogs, blower motor, or even when I use the electric windows. This is not the case when I am traveling at higher RPMs. To give you idea how dim they go, it's the difference between everything on and the truck not running as opposed to it running. Checked all the connectors, battery cables, grounds...anything that could be loose. It appears the electrical system can't handle all the draw running at lower RPMs. As an experiment, I turned off my fogs, and blower motor before I came to stop the other night and it didn't happen. This truck has a 136 amp alternator and a 750 amp battery. Can't believe that this isn't ample charging/electrical power. Never had this happen with my old '01. Any ideas? Don't want to spend 3 dayslistening to the idiots at my dealership tell me nothing is wrong. To get off the subject, I was experiencing the common vapor leak message and they kept telling me that it was me not putting the gas cap on tight. Took a dealer in North Carolina to diagnose itas a bad gas tank, and I live it Illinois, but enough about that. Anyway, any thoughts out there? Bad voltage regulator, battery, alternator? By the way, anyone know where the voltage regulator is located now? I would rather replace it myself than put up with the BS at the dealership. Sorry for getting windy...

Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: headlights dimming

Nothing is wrong.
You could upgrade the alternator and still see some of this, but I think it should be less.I have the 160amp. Not bad on mine.

Power windows draw big amps, especially when they hit the stops at full up or full down...

AC cycling at idle willdragon the engine making this worse too, This is why idle rpm's are usually computer controlled to increase with AC use.

Whatever you do, don't install underdrive pullies. That will make it much worse.

Quick Reply: headlights dimming