3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So I drove Cooper Zeon LTZ's in snow last week...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default So I drove Cooper Zeon LTZ's in snow last week...

Many were wondering how they performed in snow. I drove in an ice storm and 2 huge snow storms 10+ inches that we have been pounded with in the Northeast with a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20 tires. Both snow storms were in the 20degree area. The tires definately seemed to be a great tire. I would definately reccomend them to anyone remotely interested.

There was one thing about the truck that I noticed while driving in the snow/slush conditions. While trying to take any kind of right hand turn, the truck seemed like it wanted to push/plow forward unless I went slow. I know the truck is designed from the factory to engage in that kind of manuever around turns, but seems a little annoying at times. I do have 200lbs of sand bags in the bed directly over the axles, so maybe that's a contributing factor or maybe it's the simple fact that the tires so good in a straight line that I just drive too fast to begin with???? I did used to drive a reg cab, so maybe the wheelbase has more to do with it than the actual tires?

Anyways, I feel that these tires are far superior than some of the other A/T tires I have owned and driven in inclimate weaher. Rain seems not to be a factor as the tire just pushes water right out of the way. Also, last night was only 5 degrees outside and the tires still wanted to grip the dry pavement like it was a 60degree day out. I have been running 35psi in all 4 tires. I'm sure that running 30-32psi would yield meven better results than what I was experiencing but wouldn't reccomend that kind of pressure for longevity.
I put over 300 miles on the truck in those storms. So no grocery getting report here...hehehehe

Old 12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
jankerson
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well going just alittle slower in the snow will help.

A note also that NOT putting the truck in 4wd until needed will also help because it's like driving a fwd car in the snow. The car will push because the front tires are spinning and lose traction.

One of the reasons I really don't like 4x4's in ice and snow so I used to keep them in 2wd, they drove better. Trust me it will keep you out of a ditch.

Also the reason I have a 2wd truck now.

It's easier to steer with the gas peddle than with the brakes in the snow.

Drive both cars and trucks in the snow when I lived in MD, they didn't plow the back roads were I lived much, lots of hills etc.

Last edited by jankerson; 12-23-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Yeah steering with the gas peddle is the way to go.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by TANKZ400
as much fun as it is, unfortunately I don't always have the option with other cars around.

Thanks for the review Dog, you might have just made my decision easier.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jankerson
Well going just alittle slower in the snow will help.

A note also that NOT putting the truck in 4wd until needed will also help because it's like driving a fwd car in the snow. The car will push because the front tires are spinning and lose traction.

One of the reasons I really don't like 4x4's in ice and snow so I used to keep them in 2wd, they drove better. Trust me it will keep you out of a ditch.

Also the reason I have a 2wd truck now.

It's easier to steer with the gas peddle than with the brakes in the snow.

Drive both cars and trucks in the snow when I lived in MD, they didn't plow the back roads were I lived much, lots of hills etc.
so what you are saying is that a 2wd truck is better in the snow and such compared to a 4x4? .........no,freakin way.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:34 PM
greg14_00
Professional

I'd have to agree with Talon and say there is no way a 2wd is better then a 4x4 in the snow.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:41 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Thanks for the update/reveiw on the LTZ's Dog. I will probably get them at least before next winter but maybe earlier because driving in the rain with the stock tires is an adventure.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:59 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by TANKZ400
I love steering with the gas and sliding into the turn..hehehe

However, my silverado was so much easier to get sideways when I turned the wheel and gave it gas prob because the short wheelbase and I never put weight in the back? The truck is definately well balanced when you slam on the brakes or start sliding sideways. No ***-end run around like my father had with his F-150.
The Coopers are super quiet. Ride is a bit harsher than stock, but if you put the Wrangler HP's side by side to the Coopers you'll see the difference. When I stood the stock tire up, I could take my pointer finger and push the treas completely in. Basically cave in the tire.
With the Coopers, I could sit on the tread with them cold and they would support me.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-23-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've not owned a set, but you'd be hard pressed to find a negative review of the Zeons. I think I read maybe three out of about 50-60 reviews I've seen...

Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I just hope they wear as well as other tires out there. They are kinda new for many 30,40 or 50kmi reviews.

Quick Reply: So I drove Cooper Zeon LTZ's in snow last week...