3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Those with HIDEXTRA Kits... (06+ only)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM
damien1023
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with HIDEXTRA Kits... (06+ only)

Are you guys having any problems with your kits? I had to take mine out because of an intermittent flickering issue (i know, i know). My kit will run fine 75% of the time but sometimes while driving they will flicker, sometimes almost turning off them coming back on like they have a loose connection. I know I'm not the only one running this kit so I want another 06+ guy to chime in. They have exchanged the relay already so could it be a bad ballast? It is happening with both lights so Im assuming its a power issue. I know the 02-05 guys have caps and whatnot running with their kits but am I maybe missing something that they didnt send is what Im wondering? This doesnt happen all the time, just when the truck feels like it wants to. All im using is the bulbs, ballast and the relay. Let me know if im missing something lol....

Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe its was your system drawing too much power... turn on your map light and see if it flicks when your system hits...

Old 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You say relay....Are you powering up your HID kit directly from the battery? If you are running off of the stock harness, then you need 20w 8ohm resistors so it "simulates" the current draw of a stock 55w halogen bulb.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 PM
damien1023
Veteran

yeah, the kit is running off of the battery with the factory socket only acting as the switch to turn everything on... I dont really bang my system, and it happens when my girl is in the truck and i know my amp isnt drawing a ton of power then because the stereo is barely turned up. I see what you are saying dog but i have been under the assumption that the lights will not run at all if a resistor is needed or am i wrong? I have just been wondering if they were supposed to supply me with the resistor. I know that many others on here (02-05) have the kit and have caps/resistors/diodes and whatever else they need thrown in. I am willing to just throw in the resistor if thats what i need but i guess that what im wanting to know is that those who have this kit on an 06+ were given anything else besides the relay/ballast/bulbs?

Last edited by damien1023; 10-27-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Realy off of the battery and source voltage from the stock wiring. Exactly how it should be. There should be no flicker at all. i just ran my wiring for my HID retro and no flicker at all. Not even a bulb out warning and i went through a few key cycles and about an hour of adjustment time.
If you run off of your stock wiring AND add in a 20w resistor 35w=20w=55w load. However, this does not appear to be your problem.
I have a killer sound system and it should not effect your HID's at all. Take a pic of your wiring or post up a pic of the wiring diagram and then I can further help.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woah mr killer sound system there lol

Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 PM
damien1023
Veteran

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn't have time to build it to scale."

I had originally though that the problem was in the connector they used to go to the factory socket because it did not fit quite right but i cut away some of the plastic and its snapped tight now but still flickering. (I did this earlier today) I was thinking that it could be the ballast but one bad ballast should not cause both lights to act this way...

Last edited by damien1023; 10-27-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

That's exactly how mine is as well, I've yet to install it though I'm so not knowledgeable enough to pull this off with the limited day-light left after work, I may attempt it this Saturday morning so I'll have em for Halloween night ridin' to simply put, show em off to the family and friends. And of course give em the "yeah I did it myself" feeling

Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 PM
damien1023
Veteran

Originally Posted by SilentRamAD
That's exactly how mine is as well, I've yet to install it though I'm so not knowledgeable enough to pull this off with the limited day-light left after work, I may attempt it this Saturday morning so I'll have em for Halloween night ridin' to simply put, show em off to the family and friends. And of course give em the "yeah I did it myself" feeling
Is yours an HIDEXTRA kit?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

Oh but of course it is :P It's the 6k Bi-Xenon kit.

Quick Reply: Those with HIDEXTRA Kits... (06+ only)