3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire/Wheel Spacing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Deviate
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire/Wheel Spacing Question

I just put new tires on my 2005 2wd 1500. I have the stock 17x8 rims and I put 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on them.

I have very little space between the control arm and the inside of the front tire. As in I can put my finger between them. The tires don't touch and i have not noticed any rubbing. Is that something that I need to worry about? As the tire moves over bumps could it rub there? And if so, what do I need...just some wheel spacers? I don't want to have to buy new wheels...I like the look of the Terra Grapplers on the stock rim.

I'm at work and can't take or uploan pictures and i don't want to hotlink to someone else's. So look at the 6th picture in the this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...eling-kit.html

That's the piece I'm talking about that it so close to the tire.

If i do need to get spacers, what is the right size you think?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I just did a 2" BB on my Grand Cherokee a couple months ago. Put 265/65/17s on it with the stock wheels. About the same as you, can just get my finger in between there.

About 3k miles so far with no issues. Clearing is clearing I guess whether it's by an inch or a quarter inch.

Although I'm thinkin of either spacers or new wheels with better backspacing, I want to get the stance a little wider. I really like the stock chrome rims of the Overland package, but have always liked Cragar Soft 8s as well and in black they aren't any more expensive than spacers, in chrome, not too much more...

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Deviate
Professional

There are lots wheels I'd like to have. I love the Helo Maxx 6 rims. But none of my get-rich-quick schemes are panning out yet. I had some rims that looked very much like the chrome Cragar Soft 8's on the Toyota truck I had before my Ram.

Here is a pretty good picture of how much space there is:

Like you said Hammer, clearing is clearing. It just seems awful close.

Last edited by Deviate; 11-05-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling sucks
Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dude, change your vehicle description! You own a 4x2. A 2x4 is a piece of wood...

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Deviate
Professional

It's a valid point. Changed.

Quick Reply: Tire/Wheel Spacing Question