3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Limited Slip Diff - issues? What do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip Diff - issues? What do I have?

More questions out of ignorance guys. But I am learning with all your help.

I saw a discussion on another site about potential issues with a 9.25" LSD on 3rd gens saying something about losing C-clips and the rear end "grenading" and to check it periodically. Do all 3rd gen hemi's have this differential? If not, how do I tell what I have? And is anyone aware of this being a known issue? I don't have a build sheet but I still have my original window sticker. Based on the sticker, I have the hemi, of course, with 5 spd. A/T and p/t shift on the fly 4wd with a 3.92 axle ratio. I bought this truck off the lot and didn't order it so some of these things I just don't know specifically and am not sure what are standard and what are options.

I do see the engine, tranny and axle ratio listed under the options as part of the customer preferred package 26G. But that lists all sorts of crap like the adjustable pedals I never use, the trailer tow group, sport appearance package, etc.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your glove box for a sticker but you prob have the lsd

Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I will, but assuming I do, has anyone heard of this? If so, what do I check and how?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

yes its a know prob for the ram. to check you would just pull the diff cover. but if its failing then its better to replace it with a auburn or dtt
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...y-diagram.html

Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

What are we talking dollar-wise and effort-wise? And was there by chance a service bulletin or recall on it? A failure there should be covered by the 7yr 70k mile powertrain warranty shouldn't it?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

yea it should but the stock lsd sucks and will just eventually do it again, best bet is to replace it. and your looking at 500 plus install
http://moesperformance.com/index.php...th=1_1200_1201

mine is fine and i havent had any problems but i only have 37k miles on my truck

Old 01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

All I can say, with no disrespect to anyone here, but "F" that! I don't mind checking the c-clips or whatever and I'm pretty easy on my truck, especially under load and haven't had any problems at 66k. If it's that known a problem, they should recall it or put out a service bulletin and make it right. Doesn't mean it will happen I know. But I'm not into throwing 500 bucks at something that might happen and might not.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a build sheet from Dodge if your glovebox sticker doesn't list it. It should be listed as "Anti-Spin Rear" or something similar to let you know you've got the factory LSD.

Yes, they are known to blow up, and no Dodge won't cover it. That's not to say they all blow up (mine did) but generally when something goes wrong with the driveline, it's the damn Chrysler LSD. That said, if yours does decide to fail, I don't recommend taking it to the dealer. The stock LSD is pretty crappy even in perfect working order. An Auburn or DDT works better, is more reliable, and is about the same price as a stocker. To replace an LSD, you're probably looking at 700-900 with parts and labor depending on where you're at.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

unless you're gonna use the limited slip a lot (offroad mud/snow, snowy climate, etc.) theres absolutely no reason to fix it yet. just keep an eye on it. if the lsd fails, it'll destroy your rear end gears as well. not a problem if you're still under warranty. if it does fail though, buy the aftermarket lsd and have them install that one instead of the stock one again (no extra labor cost cause they're doing it anyway).

once your warranty expires its a different ballgame. its a $500 insurance policy. otherwise you're looking at about $1000 for new gears AND lsd. your call

Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

For grins I checked my glovebox and the only thing I see on the sticker is something like: corporate 9". I don't see anything about LSD, limited slip, or anti-spin. Mean anything?

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Diff - issues? What do I have?