3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

home made cai question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, I'll have to check it tomorrow in the daylight, but I could swear the line on the 4.7 in my Jeep disappears thru the firewall going toward the tranny.

But in either case, it needs to either have a filter put on it or incorporated into a home made CAI...

Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Blk05HEMI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a mini filter on mine

Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Actually, I'll have to check it tomorrow in the daylight, but I could swear the line on the 4.7 in my Jeep disappears thru the firewall going toward the tranny.

But in either case, it needs to either have a filter put on it or incorporated into a home made CAI...
yes it does go back through the FW, since i did the intake swap on my 4.7 i lost the mounting brackets for my stock air box guess its time to fab up a CAI was debating on how best to attach that line

Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with the fact that the line needs vacuum on it and should not be capped off or just let to vent at atmospheric pressure.

Maybe DirtyDog can come in here and back me up.

But there is a reason why Dodge put vacuum on that line and didnt just vent it. If the TB and inside of the intake gets gummed up from it, where does this stuff go when it is vented and not sucked back into the engine to be burned off and expelled through the exhaust.

Im not saying thats the greatest resolution either but some guys do use catch cans to minimize that. But if none of it is getting pulled out of the engine, where is it accumulating and what is it doing in there?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is an accumalation, let's play devils advocate and say yes there is,. So dodge puts a hose too the air box. before the air filter. Now the engines tb is for lack of a better term sucking the left side valve cover and all it's contaminants.Thats great. But here is why I don't believe it's that big a deal. What about the right side valve cover, that side is doing the exact combustion sequence that the left side is doing. And please don't tell me that the one hose is cleaning both valve covers. I'm not that nieve!!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I agree but you are thinking of the early 80s engines and older where both VCs had something on them. Things have changed a lot since then. Just because there is nothing in the P/S VC doesnt mean it is building pressure inside. It still "vents" to the oil filler neck. Crankcase ventilation is a good thing and is needed. Without it you will have ring seating issues on the piston wall. When that happens you get blow-by gasses and you dont want them building up in the engine

What are EGRs and PCVs and Why Do We Need Them

Another significant component of crankcase gasses is the wet oil mist created by the crankshaft rotating rapidly in the sump's oil bath. The old solution for cars and trucks was to vent the crankcase gases straight out into the atmosphere. As part of the push to reduce vehicle engine emissions the practice of atmospheric venting is no longer acceptable. In modern engines the combined emissions are recycled and managed in the combustion process.

The system separates out the sticky "wet" oil mist and returns the oil to the crankcase leaving a dry gas going into the intake system. Not only does this reduce deposits in the engine intake area but provides the additional benefit of reducing oil consumption, as oil is not lost in the venting process.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Good read, I guess I have only 1 question. Does it matter if you hook it into your CAI before the TB or use one of the capped off ports on the intake? If you go directly into the intake you're gonna have allot more vacuum than you would between the filter and TB. The CAI should only have slight vacuum when the filter starts to get dirty, and really shouldn't have any if the filter is clean.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Well I think if you really want to keep it clean and filter it then the more vacuum in combination with a catch can would be best. But im not a guru on this. Im still learning it myself.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:57 AM
00dakSport
All Star

yea mega hemi thats a dakota (mine). but breathers are there to vent the crankcase not the tranny. u can't see in the pic but it splits and goes to both sides of the engine, then down near the back spark plugs.

weedahoe i was wondering about that little filter, my old breath tube went into the air box after the filter. isn't putting a little filter on it the same thing?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure weather or not the 03 needs vacuum on that line, but my 05 that line extends all the way to the bottom of the airbox itself. That would lead me to believe no vacuum is necessary for it.

Quick Reply: home made cai question?