3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 1500 MEGA Cab Tranny problems....... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:33 AM
NewfieMegaCab06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 1500 MEGA Cab Tranny problems....... HELP!!

Hi Guys and Gals....

I am a newbie to the site but not to Mopars..!!! I have a question about my 06 Ram MEGA CAB.
I have a problem with the tranny not shifting into gear properly. It takes about 7-8 sec to go into gear and when it does half the time it goes in to High gear in stead of low to start off causing 3 codes to come up

p0700- Trans Control Sys Malfunction
p0731- Gear 1 Ratio Incorrect
p0876- Trans Fluid Press Sensor/Switch D CKT Range/Perf

I have had it to my Dealer and they performed the trans maint. on it 14000km ago ( fluid/filter change ) and again when I started to have this problem and just got it back 2 days ago and guess what??? Its doing it again... The dealer Flashed the TCM and Computer Stating that the old software was the cause and this would fix it... During the road test the carrier bearing let go and caused the driveshaft to bind and pop the universal damaging the driveshaft( I had to buy a new one because I needed the truck back right away... So a $250 visit turned into a $1700 visit and now I am back where I started... The truck has 143k on it and I dearly Love it (except the Fuel consumption)...

I have had tranny guys tell me its my Torq. Converter... More tell me that my seals are bad or the clutches are on the way out but I do not believe this to be the case due to the Fact that when this happens if I turn off the truck and start a couple of times it goes into gear just fine... but shift like crap or If I clear the codes she will run just fine until I turn her off again.... Any help at all would be appreciated...At the end of my rope!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Yeah, you are screwed. You might as well just give the truck away to some nice kid up in northern MI

Welcome to the site!

There is a common issue with these trannys first shifting into gear after some downtime, but your issue sounds a little more complex. I'm new to the 3rd gens so I don't have much info, but I know my truck has this same "slow shift" issue... without all the other stuff you have. Good luck with your findings, and be sure to post up what you may find in the future.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM
NewfieMegaCab06

Thanks for the welcome...

I have heard that the slow shifting is common but like you said not with the other problems..

I will let you know how it turns out....

This is my 2nd 3rd gen Dodge and had no problems with the first at all... I guess I should have bought the 2500hd like I wanted..!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

P0700 usually is not a good sign. It is usually more a mechanical issue than software related. Do a search on the board here and on Dodge Talk.com for that P0700 and you will find some more info on it.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM
brettj2408
Captain

incorrect ratio usually means its slipping as the input shaft speed goes past its limits

Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM
NewfieMegaCab06

Thanks Guys,

I just got off the phone with the dealer... They say that it could be the Computer thats causing all the trouble..... $$$$ when there is no warranty involved...

I have the p0731 ( incorrect gear ratio ) because low gear is selected but the TCM is putting the tranny in High gear causing a situation that feels like the clutches are slipping... but if they were worn out,,,, when I clear the computer I would still not be able to move however that is not the case.. clear the computer and roast the tires... Its driving me Crazy!!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 AM
NewfieMegaCab06

ok so here is where I stand now.... Dealer ran the codes and said that I need a new valve body and solenoids $1084.
computer said something about a low trans pressure solenoid was the problem and the dealed said they would not just replace the solenoid due to the amount of labour involved it would be cheaper to do the full valve body install plus just in case I might just have a sticky valve this would take care of that aswell......

So on that note I took my truck back and got on the internet.... One site I found said to try shifting my truck into neutral first give it a few seconds and then go to drive.... If this seems to correct the problem it suggested to purchase a kit that redirects the fluid and energizes the pump while the tranny is in park...

to continue with my run of GOOD LUCK..!! while I was reading this artical my son (2 yr old ) turned off the power bar to the computer and I had to go and change a dirty bum...lol
But, when I came back a few hours later I started up the computer to go back to the artical to read some more.... and I have no History left on the dame thing.....

Anybody heard of this fix for the tranny's??? or have any info on it??

I have been trying the shifting to neutral first for the past 3 days and no codes.. seems to be working....

Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never heard of that specific fix. but over $1000 for a VB/solenoid!!! they must be outta their damn minds. and to say they wont replace just the solenoid because of the extra labor?!?!? thats just asinine. the solenoid is held onto the VB by like 12 bolts. it takes literally 5 minutes to separate the two.

dont even get me started on the price. you can get a VB for $250-$300. and a new solenoid pack for $200-$230. so thats roughly $500 in parts, and over $500 in labor, for a simple job you could do in your driveway.

ugh, i hate dealerships.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:53 PM
NewfieMegaCab06

Sounds like this could be my trouble... I will have to check it out tomorrow....

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 21-007-06, Date of Issue: April 07, 2006
CHRYSLER:2005 - 2006 (DR) Ram Truck; 2005 - 2006 (HB) Durango; 2005 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee; 2005 - 2006 (ND) Dakota; 2005 - 2006 (WK / WH) Grand Cherokee; 2006 (XK) Commander
GROUP:Transmission

Related Ref Number(s): 21-007-06, 21-016-05
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SUBJECT:
NOTE:THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-016-05, DATED SEPTEMBER 01, 2005, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

RFE Transmission Filters - Delayed Engagement And Related Transmission DTC'S
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying the build date of the transmission, and if necessary, the replacement of both the cooler return and sump filters in the transmission.
NOTE:This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with the a 45RFE or a 545RFE automatic transmission (sales code DG4 or DGQ respectively) having a specific transmission build date code (see the below DIAGNOSIS section for further details).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight. The initial shift engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is first selected after engine start.
The customer may also experience a MIL illumination. Investigation may determine that the MIL is due to one or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's):
P0868 - Line Pressure Low. This DTC will be the most frequently occurring DTC for the delayed shift condition.
P0944 - Loss Of Hydraulic Pump Prime.
P0731 - Gear Ratio Error In 1st.
P0736 - Gear Ratio Error In Reverse.
P0841 - LR Pressure Switch Rationality.
P0876 - UD Pressure Switch Rationality.
The delayed engagement and MIL condition (DTC's) may be caused by a suspect transmission cooler return filter with a part number of 04799662AB . A suspect 04799662AB cooler return filter may cause the transmission sump filter to split at its plastic-to-metal crimp. If the transmission sump filter becomes split at the crimp, then one or more of the above DTC's may also occur.
DIAGNOSIS:
Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position.
Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift.
Fig. 1: Trans Identification Number
Inspect for the transmission build date (Julian date) (Fig. 1). The transmission build date can be determined by inspection of the 20 digit transmission identification number (DDDYxxxxxP partnumber). The transmission identification number is stamped on the left side (driver side) of the transmission oil pan flange. The first four (4) digits of the transmission identification number are the transmission build date, in Julian date format. An example of a transmission identification number would be : 1015 10492P52119684AA. The first three digits (101 ) of the identification number equal the day of the year, in this case 101 equals April 11. The fourth digit ( 5 ) of the identification number equals the calendar year, in this case 5 equals 2005. So 1015 equals April 11,2005.
Determine if the vehicle's transmission was built on or between one of the two sets of Julian date build ranges listed below:
Julian date 0425 (February 11, 2005) to Julian date 0455 (February 15, 2005). 0425 to 0455.
Julian date 1015 (April 11, 2005) to Julian date 2345 (August 22, 2005). 1015 to 2345.
If the vehicle has the above condition, and if the transmission Julian build date is on or between the range of dates listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE:Both the transmission cooler return filter and the transmission sump filter MUST BE replaced at the same time.

PARTS REQUIRED:
NOTEO NOT use a replacement cooler return filter with a part number of 04799662AB. This filter is suspect of causing the above condition. The cooler return filter part number is stenciled on the side of the filter's metal case.

PARTS DESCRIPTION
Qty.Part No.Description
104799662Filter, Transmission Cooler Return
(AR) 105015267ACKit, Transmission Sump Filter - 4x2 (verify p/n for specific vehicle)
(AR) 105013470ACKit, Transmission Sump Filter - 4x4 (verify p/n for specific vehicle)
405013457AAFluid, Automatic Transmission, MS-9602 ATF+4, Quart
105010884AAMopar ATF-RTV

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
SPECIAL TOOLS
8321Oil Filter Wrench

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE:All cooler return filters with the "AB" suffix (04799662AB) are suspect. The above condition may be corrected by replacing a suspect "AB" filter with a new cooler return filter whose part number is 04799662 (with no suffix or with a suffix that is other than the "AB" level), and a new sump filter.

NOTE:BOTH the sump oil filter and the cooler return filter MUST BE replaced in the transmission at the same time. Do not replace one filter without also replacing the other filter.

NOTE:A replacement 04799662 cooler return filter may come packaged with a separate threaded adapter stud. The threaded adapter stud is used to attach the cooler return filter to the transmission. Inspect the stud and note end without threads. Install the stud end without the threads into the cooler return filter and tighten the stud-to-filter connection to 18.6 Nm (165 in. lbs.). Once the threaded adapter stud has been installed to the cooler return filter, install the assembled cooler return filter to the transmission and tighten the filter to 14.1 Nm (125 in. lbs.)

Fig. 2: Transmission Filters - 4x4 Shown
Use the procedures outlined in TechCONNECT(R) ( Service Information Tab / 21 -Transmission Transaxle / Automatic - 45RFE 545RFE / Fluid / Standard Procedure / Fluid and Filter Replacement) to replace BOTH the transmission cooler return filter and the transmission sump oil filter.
NOTE:Always install the sump filter seal to the bottom of the transmission oil pump first, then install the sump filter to the oil pump and previously installed seal. DO NOT install the sump filter seal to the sump filter and then attempt to install both to the oil pump.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
NewfieMegaCab06
Default just an update...

Turns out that the dealership installed the wrong filter when they done my tranny service back in Nov/09 ( thats when all the problems started ).. They changed the filter with the right one that has a check valve to keep the fluid from draining back into the pan. and BOOM!!! no more codes.... shifts wonderful.. still a little slow (after some long down time) going into gear , but no where near as bad as before and did I say.. No more codes..!!

Just got back from a week of holidays towing my fifthwheel a couple of thousand km and she pulled like a train...

I almost wish I wasn't selling it now....

I just found a 2004 2500 5.9 cummins.....

I'll let you know how that turns out

Quick Reply: 06 1500 MEGA Cab Tranny problems....... HELP!!