3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Bad exhaust valve spring: Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:53 AM
OzzyDodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I can do that. Are the intake and exhaust springs the same part number?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Go back n read post 8 for the part numbers

Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Thanks. Ok I asked because the parts guy at the local dealership was telling me all the valve springs (intake and exhaust) are the same part number.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yep. So now you know. Although, you might as well throw a cam in there while you have it all apart.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

I think things just went from OK to downright terrible:

So getting in there I see that the keeper is not on the valve all the way, when I remove the rocker rail the keeper just falls off. Keeper has a notch rubbed in it from the rocker arm (rocker arm looks fine). Spring of course split into 2 pieces. Also found a piece of metal I cannot identify that does not seem to fit anywhere. All other springs look ok.

So I went ahead and did the rope trick, put a rubber band on. eased the piston back down and the valve aint moving. a gentle tap with the end of a screw driver made it move 1/10" of an inch but i cant pull it up with a pair of needle nose.

Does this mean the valve dropped and was rammed back up into place by the piston, bending the valve? Or is their something I am missing or could try to free it up? Trucks been sitting for a few months. Going to post pics of the parts once my phone charges... happy day.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

The valve should move freely up and down without any resistance. It could be possible the rope is a pinched between the valve and valve seat

but if that is not it then it does sound like the valve is bent and the head will need to be pulled, take a trip machine shop and also inspect the piston carefully.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Ok, will pull the rope out and see how it goes. Estimated effort on pulling the head? I have plenty of good machine shops nearby. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Just disconnect the fuel line on the back know driver's side of the intake and the electrical harness behind that. I THINK there are (10) either 8mm or 10mm screws that hold the intake down. Pull it up an out of the way. Don't forget the hoses and connector to the throttle body. Then you will see the bolts to the head.

This means you will need new head gaskets and bolts afterwards. You will also need to take off the exhaust manifold so you will need new gaskets and bolts there also later.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Ok, thank you. Looks like I am off to the dealership before they close for parts. Wish me luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

LOL..... Good luck.

A word of wisdom though. You can get the head gaskets and bolts locally at the auto parts stores. You can google "advance auto parts coupons " and order online through their site, pay for it online and pick it up in the store and save a lot.

Quick Reply: 2003 Bad exhaust valve spring: Couple questions