3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Bad exhaust valve spring: Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Last time I bought those retainer though (wasnt it for you Al) they were like $3.xx each.....ouch.....or maybe that was the valve stem locks.....IDK.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

According to Marty Fletcher when he was at KRC, the springs wear the shape of the bottom coil into the retainer, so when changing out a spring, you should change the retainer so that the spring seats and breaks in properly. I've also read that on a couple of higher end performance type forums as well. Retainers are cheap enough, unless you opt for something like the Manley titanium ones...

Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Last time I bought those retainer though (wasnt it for you Al) they were like $3.xx each.....ouch.....or maybe that was the valve stem locks.....IDK.
Yeah it was Weed.
I believe it was a safety net kinda thing in case I dropped and lost one.
Thanks for the info Hammer.
Sounds like a reasonable thing to do.
Al

Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow life gets busy sometimes!!! I got the valve cover off, had to grind off a valve cover bolt (long story, will get whats left of the corroded bolt off later).

What is the procedure for getting the affected piston up to TDC? Just drop a wire hanger in through the spark plug hole and rotate crank until it is all the way up? Then bring it back down, add rope and put it back to tdc?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I use a coat hanger to get to TDC and then use compressed air to hold my piston up. What are you going to change the valve spring out with??

Old 07-08-2011, 02:26 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OzzyDodge
Wow life gets busy sometimes!!! I got the valve cover off, had to grind off a valve cover bolt (long story, will get whats left of the corroded bolt off later).

What is the procedure for getting the affected piston up to TDC? Just drop a wire hanger in through the spark plug hole and rotate crank until it is all the way up? Then bring it back down, add rope and put it back to tdc?
Simple answer is yes.
But...as Weed said.....what are you using to get the valve springs off?
Of all the threads I've read on this subject.....I've not seen one, where a stock valve spring compressor works???
They don't fit and can't get underneath the retaining buckets fitted to the springs to compress them.
Gotta have that trick Hemi spring compressing tool, to do a job with the heads still on.
This tool bolts to the rocker arm mounts and a lever is tightened down, to compress the spring from above.
Al.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

I have a valve compressor that "should work" froma guy that works at the local dodge dealership. If that doesnt work I will be contacting you

Quick and late question. Cylinder #7 is affected (drivers side), looking at the motor from in front of the truck. The spring that broke is all the way left on the head, that is the exhaust valve and not the intake correct?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Dealer techs use Miller tools. Not as easy to use but will work. I've got a set and being honest, I do use them.

The set of springs closer to the intake are intake springs and obviously the other row of springs closer to the exhaust are the exhaust springs

Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 AM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Thanks. So I take it I cant use the exhaust spring to fix this? I guess these things happen up at 150K?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

If 1 has failed, others are likely to follow. Replace them all.

Quick Reply: 2003 Bad exhaust valve spring: Couple questions