View Poll Results: Was This Post Helpful?
Yes - Very Helpful
80.00%
Maybe - Somewhat Helpful
10.00%
No - I Already Knew this Infomation
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 PM
DodgeBrat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking tailgate chrysler.

Originally Posted by dizzyttc
I'm in Ontario and have an 09 Ram that did not come with the locking tailgate.I contacted Chrysler Canada and complained about this and they contacted my dealer. My dealer ordered the parts for me and installed it for me today all at their own expense. Got to love that.
Talked to chrysler today. Basically told me to stuff it. I mentioned about the 4 trips to the dealer to get the mds system working. About 15 hours total.... and then the numerous other issues.... Asked them to do something about the tailgate and they told me it was a sales issue.... Talk to the dealer. Like the dealer will do anything!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

update

unless im missing something, the part for the tailgate handle does not come with the lock. i had my buddy that works dodge parts order it, and it has a nice hole where a lock should be. had to order the lock which was $47 frekin dollars...=

am i missing something??

Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 AM
jphemi

Mine came with a lock --

I'm about to replace the whole assembly with the kit that includes a handle with camera and lock.

Anyone interested in the one that's coming out -- Mopar remote tailgate lock installed so no wear on the lock?

Make me a reasonable offer plus shipping for the whole thing.

Note -- I have turned a key in this, so it is set for that key.

Also have the original sattelite radio which was replaced with REN unit to display the rear view camera feed.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:53 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

Well, its done.

Not sure about that whole lock cylinder. I am 99% sure MOPAR no longer includes the lock, you must order the handle with the hole and the lock seperate, another $67.00 (I was lucky to get for $42 as my buddy works parts). Total cost for everything for me was $140 out the door.

Used Locktight on the tailgate nut to ensure it doesnt vibrate loose. and soap on the rods to slip off for the old, and on for the new rod.

Great post BASSMAN (Hope thats right), great detail, honestly perfect..

RECAP-
I think the days of getting the handle with the lock are gone. Still is a hell of a lot cheaper than going the OEM route (NEW locking handle mechnasm was over $200) or the electronic part which is still a bit of change, and requires the lock componenets to be there already. But Dodge has suceeded the original parrt number with some new ending numbers, meaning they split the handle and lock up.

Hope this helps, and if someone can prove me wrong and finds that the handle part number does come with a lock, i would love to know (As long as its current information)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Good to see this post getting continued support after two years!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing you can switch out the cylinders from one type of handle (locking/no cam) to another (locking w/ camera)?
i'll be getting rid of my locking handle also if someone is interested in it.
thanks again OP for the tutorial.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM
pks
Default Installed Elec Tailgate lock on 2012 1500 Crew Cab

It went really well, until the wiring! I thought the connector cavity info in the instructions was not correct for the 2012, but it was not far off. It turns out the picture of the connector is from the bottom view, and damned if there are not tiny little numbers on the bottom indicating the cavity numbers. So the 2011 pin locations are the same as the 2012, but the wire colours were different than what has been said here before. Mine were tan and tan w/ blue stripe.

The kit wires were black and red.
Black goes to cavity 20 on connector "F" (grey plastic) Lock driver
Red goes to cavity 7 on Connector "E" (brown plastic) Unlock driver

I stripped (without cutting the wire), wrapped, soldered, and insulated with self-amalgamating rubber splicing tape and standard electrical tape. I hope it doesn't really need to be crimped too.

Glad to be done using that little key from the FOB. With the hard cover that can't be opened without opening the tailgate, this kit is the cat's ***.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
otherguy

I know this is an old thread but I am now wanting to put a locking handle on my truck.

I did a search for 68044904-AB nothing showed up as far as a place to order it online, is the only way through the dealer?

Thanks for any help

Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem may be the format of the search text you used. Try just the number part. Sometimes Chrysler changes the alpha characters for each new 'version' of a part. I searched on "68044904" in Google 'Shopping' search and got various hits. Looks like they are up to AD now. You can also eliminate the dash and try "68044904AB".

You'll find some.

Rob

Old 06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
otherguy

Thanks for the help, when I did the search as you described I got an alternate part number (68071073AA), so I will do that for the other 2 parts I need and hope to get a locking tailgate.

One last thing, "if" i want the power tailgate lock I DO have to to get all three parts mentioned in the first place, correct? I need the manual locking items to make the power locking stuff work, correct? From reading lots of post this is the way it seems to be, just want to make sure.

Quick Reply: Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru