4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Ram Air Hood (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM
09SportRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram Air Hood

I have had this hood for over a year now and have never had water splashing in it. I have never had the air filter soaked from water even when driving in the rain. As far as mpg I have seen an increase, but only a 1.5 mpg. But that is not why i got it, I like the look of it.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:58 PM
drought_buster
Rookie

thanks for the update on water not soaking the air filter

Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Mattones
Professional

Originally Posted by rjc799
Okay, that is scary. Water splashing???
It was water trapped inside the hood somewhere or something. Thats what I assumed. It comes and goes I assume it evaporates. Maybe they solved this issue as the OP doesnt have it.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
jram99
Veteran

I had a ramair shaker style hood on my 99 QC. Because the engine set so far back under the firewall they built a 3 pc box that attached to the TB and was supported by a bracket mounted to the alternator and A/C bolts. It was a total pain in the *** to install and get it aligned properly. However the look far out weighed the install problems. This was a functional ram air and it worked great. The first time I washed the truck after the install, the box did collect some water even though I was carefull not to spray directly into the scoop. The engine did die after sucking the water into the TB. I waited a few minutes and cranked it a few time and then it started up and I drove home with no more problems. I fixed this by drilling some 1/8" drain holes all around the filter part of the air box. This cured the problem for good, even spraying water directly into the scoop it would drain out before I was done washing the truck. The other problem with this set up was the total pain in the *** of cleaning/changing the air filter. The entire air box had to be disasembled to remove the air filter. As far as performance gains, I noticed 2 improvements. First was that the engine ran smoother and started up easier/faster. The other was that my milage did increase but not so much that it paid for the hood or anything. I'd say about a half to 3/4's of a mpg increase. One last thing that was a disapointment but not really that bad was that there was no shake when you hit the gas. The engine mounts were so large and so well insulated that the 5.9l did not torque when throttled up. So the scoop never moved in the hood like the old muscle cars did.
I gave this truck to my son but we modified the scoop. We removed the air box and just put a round high flow airfilter on it. We then just hard mounted the scoop to the hood. I still allows cool air to flow into the engine compartment but no longer is direct to the TB. At least now the airfilter gets cleaned on a regular basis. Anyway, the hood you have is far better than the one I bought 6-7 years ago. I like it alot and may end up doing this on mine as well. Let us know if you do have any problems with it down the road but for now this is on my wish list of truck mods when the time is right. Jeff.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM
rjc799
Veteran

Just ordered mine...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
10RAMSPORT
Professional

Originally Posted by rjc799
Just ordered mine...
Has it come in yet?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:10 PM
cowboys1732

subscribed

Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM
joker055
Amateur

Originally Posted by 09SportRam
Just got my truck back from paint. I love it!!!

How's that hood holding up, i'm in the market and checking out the same site/manufacturer

Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
rjc799
Veteran

Had mine for over two years and still LOVE it.

Attached Thumbnails New Ram Air Hood (PICS)-new-20paint1.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Ram Air Hood (PICS)