4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Let's see those lowered 4x4's!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM
puds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's see those lowered 4x4's!

Since I just found out that Ground Force makes a lowering kit for the 4x4 Ram, I would like to see what the kit looks like on a few different trucks. I have a black sport crew with the chrome clad 20's, and would like to see something similar to see if the lowering with stock wheels looks decent. I couldn't afford doing both this year, so I wanted to see if I lowered it first, if it would look okay for a year with the stock wheels/tires. For you die hard 4x4 guys, I apologize for making you cry at the thought of lowering a 4x4, but hey, it's like having an AWD sport truck for the summer and something that can still tow my double sled trailer in the winter and not get stuck. Best of both worlds.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM
rdculus
Veteran

haha, you know you just opened up a huge contraversy with the lowered 4x4 topic!!
anyway, I'm with you I'd like to see a few pictures of the lowered 4x4's with stock wheels.
Personally I think the front of my rig is low enough already I'd just like to lower the rear alittle. But maybe after seeing some lowered rigs I might change my mind!!
Post 'em up!!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:30 AM
rdculus
Veteran

heres a few from the groundforce site,

Name:  09ram-8.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  09ram-1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  37.3 KB

Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 AM
rking300
Professional

Why would a person want to lower a 4x4?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
MADMAXIN22
Professional

Originally Posted by rking300
Why would a person want to lower a 4x4?
better handling..... easier to get in/out of vehicle... easier to load/unload things from the bed....

and let's face it, what % of new truck owners take their 30-40k trucks offroading?? maybe 5% and i dont mean driving through your yard or up a smooth trail... a lowered 4x4 is still capable of going off the paved road, through snow/ice, it's just not going to climb over rocks/trees etc but not too many stock trucks could do that anyways...

my 2010 sport would look better if the rear was down 2", or a 2/3 drop on the whole truck.... i'd have no worries about losing my 4x4 ability by putting a small drop on the truck

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
puds

better handling..... easier to get in/out of vehicle... easier to load/unload things from the bed....

and let's face it, what % of
new truck owners take their 30-40k trucks offroading?? maybe 5% and i dont mean driving through your yard or up a smooth trail... a lowered 4x4 is still capable of going off the paved road, through snow/ice, it's just not going to climb over rocks/trees etc but not too many stock trucks could do that anyways...

my 2010 sport would look better if the rear was down 2", or a 2/3 drop on the whole
truck.... i'd have no worries about losing my 4x4 ability by putting a small drop on the truck

x2

The only reason I bought 4x4 is so I have the ability to get unstuck in the snow when I go north snowmobiling and I am towing my trailer. Other than that, there is absolutely no way I am taking my shiny black sport crew off-road. My wife is 5'1" and she has to jump to get into the truck right now, plus I have always been a huge fan of lowered trucks. This gives me the ability to have a sweet looking sport styled truck that doubles as my family vehicle and tow vehicle. How can you go wrong?!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:47 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i put the groundforce 4x4 2/3 kit on my RCSB about a month ago. The kit was fairly easy to install, the driver side upper shock bolt was a pita to get to. ill try to get some pics up soon if i can find my camera. the kit didnt level the truck completely though, the rear is still a full inch higher than the front. not all that noticeable but it does bother me a bit. The cutoff wheel might come into a little contact with the rear springs this weekend haha.. The wheel well/tire gap is about 3 3/4 inches so on that red truck there is some photoshop magic going on cause theres now way those rims fill the gap that much on the GC 2/3 drop.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
puds

The wheel well/tire gap is about 3 3/4 inches so on that red truck there is some photoshop magic going on cause theres now way those rims fill the gap that much on the GC 2/3 drop.

That's exactly why I want to see some real world samples, companies never show you the real results, only the 1 in a million version when it looks perfect. Pics would be much appreciated.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 AM
frogslinger
Captain

not sure you are right there puds... those are 24's on there... if you drop sidewall size by 1 inch and increase wheel size by 4 you end up eating another inch of gap...

Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
puds

hopefully that is the case, but I want to see some pictures from some members rather than just what the company shows us. From my past experience with lowered cars that I have had, when you put larger wheels/tires on, it usually makes the gap look larger (may not actually be larger but it makes your eye notice a lot more). The key is to get the gap perfect for your wheel/tire combo and what kind of look you want for your vehicle. IMO, all vehicles looks best when the gap is the absolute smallest itr can be and still allow all wheel functions (turning, bumps, etc.)

Quick Reply: Let's see those lowered 4x4's!