4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

installed my amp research steps today..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM
crod
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed my amp research steps today..

pretty straight forward, took my dad and myself about 3.5-4hrs. (they claim 3hrs.) its not super difficult, if you have a general idea, when it comes to mechanical things. it took me a little longer than 3 hrs. to make sure everything was perfect, tie wrap all the wiring, etc. etc. im sure you wont get that when a shop installs it....

anyway. top notch, fit, finish, materials etc. i felt it was well worth the $1k i dropped on it.... unlike some aftermarket items you buy that seem cheap and flimsy..

ill try to get some pics up soon.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 AM
DwRam
Professional

Had mine for 16 months now. Really like them. Good Luck and enjoy.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 AM
big4x4dodge09
Professional

i just looked those things up and they are awesome! as my truck sits now lifted on 35s....id rather have N-Fab bars, but if someone makes a lift to get these things higher, most def these steps would be it! def had some cool pics on google and videos on youtube. congrats!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
crod
All Star

big 4x4... i dont exactly know what you are saying? they tuck up higher under the truck than the rocker panels... they also go down lower than any type of nerf bar etc.... i guess im lost on what your asking?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 PM
renos09
Veteran

Do you think they would work in the winter time with snow and ice? I would defitnitely get them but am a little scared about the winters.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 AM
JohnKoz
Rookie

I was nothing less than impressed with mine as well, installed them in April and they have performed flawlessly. I also bought the light kit and integrated the 2 harnesses for a clean install.

The ONLY gripe I have is they could have built a delay for the steps retracting, even 5 seconds. I’ve seen this on other OEM electric steps.
The problem is when I approach the truck with my bag(s) (backpack, shopping, etc), I open the rear door first, load the bags, then shut the rear door and open the front door. This causes the step to retract and extend again. Usually I try to hold the rear door open until I open the front door but not always. If not I end up making it extend in mid retract (yuk) or just waiting until it retracts before I open the front door.

Anyway, would buy them again in a heartbeat, I like the look of the truck without steps but I’m not getting any younger, so this was an excellent compromise. And lets face it, they are just cool.

-John

Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 PM
crod
All Star

cool is an understatement.....

when the steps drop down,,, so do the panties..... lol.

they have changed the light kit recently. i really need to post some pics up soon. i kinda feel sorry for you guys that have the old style.

i have 4 really, really slim led's. 1/8" thick. wiring harness is built right in, one controller. it looks like its no longer an option. its built in to the steps. (which should be for $1,100.)!! i just ordered mine a week ago or so. as far as the "build date" would go...

Quick Reply: installed my amp research steps today..