4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Advice: Best performance improvements for 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi mds

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste money on any throttle body spacer, Airaid throttle body spacers are nothing more then a $100 dollar whistle. No spacer with a machined 1/4" spiral width dimension of a inch or less is going to create a vortex powerful enough for any noticable power gains "If any" on a slightly less then 6k lbs. truck.

Last edited by POWER SEDAN; 10-16-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Power247

Over the last 3 months I have added a Volant CAI, 18" Magna flow muffler and Super chips Flashpaq to my '09. I can tell you that I can both hear and feel the difference in the performance of my truck. I started this endeavor trying to get better mpg when pulling our camper and ended up falling in love with my truck all over again. Unfortunately any real mpg gains are usually lost to my now much heavier right foot . Whatever you choose I am sure you will be satisfied. These trucks take bolt on mods very well. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:52 PM
TSRAM11

I have an afe c.a.i. air raid t.b.s. mufflex14" magnaflow exhaust with custom tailpipe w/o resonator and Diablosport Trinity programmer. Biggest boost in performance was the intake and programmer. But exhaust is nice to listen to. If I had to pick one thing to do it would be a programmer, because of the HP gains and ability to read and clear engine codes.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
gutty96
Veteran

I too am going to say a superchips flashpaq tuner. Not just for the tunes, but mostly for the advanced transmission tuning.

That was BY FAR the best mod I ever did for my truck, and I know it was the transmission settings, as I ran a tune without touching the tranny first. It was nice, but after buying and using the advanced settings. It was like a totally different truck.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM
20aquinn

I own a 2009 ram cc big horn. I bought it to pull my 6,000lb camper. My 4.7 Dakota was having some difficulty staying out of passing gear with the slightest incline. The first thing I did was buy a k&n drop in filter. I'd rather spend $50 than est $300 for basically the same gains. Next on the list was a muffler replacement. I went with a 14" magnaflow 3"in, dual 2 1/4" out which retained my factory dual exhaust with resonators. (Still thinking about removing resonators) The performance and sound is actually quite unnoticeable until you mash the throttle. Then you get the seat of your pants dyno and hear the hemi come alive. Soon enough I bought a flashpaq sc tuner. It gave the most gains for the least amount of money. On the 91 tune it claims 40hp, 42lb tq. Idk what the 93 tune yields but you can significantly feel a difference in the shifts. 93 tune is like an all out performance race shift kit. I personally don't like it for everyday driving. I use to average around 14mpg driving 6 miles one way to work all week with some in town driving. Very little interstate. Now I get mid 16mpg whether I'm in 91 tune or mileage xs tune. And that's getting on it. I've tried driving it "easy" to see if there's a slight improvement. But it's now an over 400hp & 400lb tq beast! I didn't buy it for mileage. If you try your wasting your time. I also disabled my MDS with the tuner. I couldn't stand the feeling of 4cylinders trying to move this big ol truck. And with the mds disabled, pulling my camper is a breeze. It doesn't go in and out of fuel saver mode. All that power stays throughout the entire time I'm moving. No drag on hills barely increases rpm on grades. The tow tune is nice, but I prefer to use the 91 tune for everything. Even towing. I've watched all my gauges, it's the best "feel" and performance and mileage overall. Btw, my truck has 20" wheels, 285/60/20 Goodyear duratrec tires, and 3.55s. I love my truck. Furthermore. With the tuner you can actually REV your engine and hear your exhaust rather than it cut out and shut itself down. And when you turn off your esp it turns OFF! I tried playing in the snow and only had my engine shut down and brakes applied. Beware, this is a big truck with big power. It will surprise you. Hope this helps some of you

Old 11-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Paulgn2112

Originally Posted by Power247
Over the last 3 months I have added a Volant CAI, 18" Magna flow muffler and Super chips Flashpaq to my '09. I can tell you that I can both hear and feel the difference in the performance of my truck. I started this endeavor trying to get better mpg when pulling our camper and ended up falling in love with my truck all over again. Unfortunately any real mpg gains are usually lost to my now much heavier right foot . Whatever you choose I am sure you will be satisfied. These trucks take bolt on mods very well. Good luck!
Hey power247... Be careful with the Volant CAI,,,, Although the filter is fantastic, it tends to fall off the mount . Mine did twice,, Google pulls up a bunch of issues with this,, I contacted Volant to c if they had a fix for this? Nope just check every few hundred miles is what they say,,,,

Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Josh Barker
Default Check Engine

Originally Posted by cyclone429
The ex on the sport Ram is not a true dual ex, the stock y pipe is still in place, all you have is a factery cat back ex, getting rid of the y pipe, run two ex pipes into the stock mufflers will inhance ex flow, use mid grage flue.
I've been considering this, does this mess with the flow sensors or cause the check engine light to stay on? I've worried the computer wouldn't get the right mix if I changed that.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:38 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't waste your money on superchips.. or throttlebody spacers!

get adiablow sport tuner with the Hemi Fever tune..
87mm throttle body
vararam intake
magnaflow 18" dual exhaust
billet oil catch can

http://www.moes-performance.com/2009...500_s/1817.htm

Quick Reply: Advice: Best performance improvements for 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi mds