4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dodge Ram Great Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram Great Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepq2...1&feature=fvwp

I thought this video was very accurate in describing the four major full size trucks 1-4. I am in a unique position where I can personally attest to these results because my brother and my dad, along with myself all have different 2010 trucks. I of course own a 2010 Dodge Ram, my brother has a 2010 Toyota Tundra, and my dad has a 2010 Lariat Crew Cab. We do A LOT of towing and hauling, and we are constantly measuring up. We use each other trucks all the time so it really lets us get a feel for the truck styles. Anyway, I think the only part the video is wrong about is placing the Chevy ahead of the ford, because after all, the Ford is a much prettier and bigger truck than the Chevy 1/2 ton. But that may be just my own bias. My brother's Toyota has 4.30 gear ratio...my dad’s Ford has 3.73, and my dodge has 3.55s. When towing with the Toyota, I feel a great start off the line, but as soon as the 2nd gear shift, I noticed a dramatic loss in power, and a lot of transmission shuttering. With the Ford, not at anytime do I get any type of towing euphoria, or daily driving sensation, like the video says, "it’s slow with or without a load", and it’s really quite clumpy and over sized IMO. Also, when the Toyota is unloaded it seems wayyy over geared, and noisy. I don't like how it drives with or without a load (let alone the ugly side and rear profile. And then finally, we are left with the "HEM GEM".. Its 5 speed transmission allows for plenty of time for the engine to build up RPMs when towing a heavy load off the line, and then can easily sustain the momentum especially when out of Tow/Haul. The coil spring suspension gives incredible control and ride comfort. I've towed 8,000+ pound machines with ease, and plenty of low end torque. If that wasn’t great enough, unloaded- the Dodge has tremendous power and passing ability. I think the Dodge really put in its work from the 3d generation where it had plenty of looks, but not a whole lot when it came to towing, or optimizing power, let alone ride quality. Anyway, that’s my blab fest. Enjoy the video!

Last edited by JoesBrotherRamMan; 10-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hemi Ram came in first - it tows the same as Tundra but Tundra has 6 speed and 4.30 gears. Ford comes in last, the Ram and Tundra out towed it. In my opinion the Chevy interior looked better than they gave it credit for, the Ford interior is very nice and the Tundra interior looks the cheapest of them all.
8.4 seconds for the Ford to hit 60??? 8.4 seconds???? With some Rams doing it in 5 seconds or so its no wonder you can't tell if the Ford was actually racing......

Titan...........so old they left it out.

Good review, thanks.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
randomdef
Professional

waste of time.

I have a ram but this review is complete ****.

a toyota SR5 compared to a laramie? then they compare cost??? why not go apples to apples and go high end to high end? 0-60 but they fail to mention which gear ratio is installed on the truck?

waste of time.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Mopar21277
Rookie

Great write up sir, much appreciated! 2011 will be much different, as Ford is making huge improvements, while the others are essentially static. Its good to hear how well the 2010 Rams pull, as sadly, I haven't towed anything yet! With my old 2005, I was less than enthused, but the VCT Hemi seems worlds better, so I'm looking forward to hauling the sleds this winter.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional

Originally Posted by randomdef
waste of time.

I have a ram but this review is complete ****.

a toyota SR5 compared to a laramie? then they compare cost??? why not go apples to apples and go high end to high end? 0-60 but they fail to mention which gear ratio is installed on the truck?

waste of time.
I think a lot of people have no knowledge when it comes to what "gear ratios" are. I think thats why they didn't bother including that, but you do raise a great point and that is gear ratios have a lot to with the results. The lowest ratio Toyota offers is 4.10, which is the unheard of it in most 1/2 ton trucks.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Mopar21277
Rookie

Don't fear the gear... Right on again, that most people, including the bean counters who order the trucks and the sales people have no clue what gear ratios mean or that the Dodge 5spd auto still only uses 3 distinct gears to get to 1:1, while the Mercedes NAG uses 4, which is a huge difference.

While the other manufacturers all use 6 speed autos, Dodge is able to make it sound to the less informed that they are in line with this newer standard by using a 5 speed which is essentially a MY 2000 4 speed with another O/D.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Great Review