4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

added EVIC gauge cluster to my st ram

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 PM
bhansson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny3000,
I had a similar issue on my 2008 Charger, for which I wanted to add the EVIC, steering wheel buttons, etc. I added the hardware myself and wired it up, but could not get the computers to cooperate, even with the dealer's help (I tried several). Finally, I found a guy in Miami that has access to the Chrysler factory software (not the dealer's) and he got everything working for my Charger.
I recently talked to him about adding the radio buttons to my 2010 SLT, and he said it would be no problems.
You can find him on lxforums.com, look for Afterhours Mopar Performance.
Tell Jon that the guy with white Police Charger from Atlanta sent you.
Good Luck!
Bo

Old 08-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Jonny3000
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lol. That is funny. I spoke with a dealer today and they were speaking of a police charger that was getting it's cluster display upgraded before. But thank you for the info. I will def check that out

Old 08-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Jonny3000

I spoke with dealer before I read your post earlier they Said I would have to order a new EVIC to fix the mileage because the mileage can only be recorded on the EVIc. Even though the PCM records the mileage. The EVIC I have now has 11k on it now and I would have to wait until my St cluster has 11k before I can switch it. So might as well buy a new one but they said once I ordered I would have to leave my truck with them until the EVIc arrived at the dealer.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:00 PM
bhansson

FYI,
Jon in Miami fixed the mileage in my cluster also; he set it to the PCM mileage, which was the same as on my old cluster before the swap.

Bo

Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Jonny3000
Default Evic

Was there any extra parts besides the EVIC cluster and steering wheel that you needed? Of course your vechicle is different from mine but im thinking that it should be the same deal.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
bhansson

For my Charger I needed a new steering wheel wire harness. Some Charger years/models need a new SCM (Steering Control Module) also.

For my RAM, adding the radio buttons, I was going to buy a new steering wheel wire harness, but I was quoted around $140 for it, so I will splice in to my old one instead (I have the EVIC and EVIC buttons already).

If you buy a complete steering wheel, it probably comes with the right wiring harness.
Check with Jon if you need a new SCM (I do not).

Bo

Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
drew4406

please keep us posted, i'm interested in doing this EVIC change on my truck ('11 RAM 1500 Express). Can you share your contact info on the EVIC re-programmer guy, would i have to send the module (btw, where is it located?)? or dash? how does that work?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 PM
11express

I too am interested for my 2011 express. I will call my local dealer tommorow just to get their price for hardware and install. Please keep us posted.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Jonny3000

After speaking to the dealership, they seemed less helpfull and didn't want to get invloved. First they said id need two different VIN numbers to see if the wiring harneses are different. I then said I could provide that but he said it would take to long time to figure out. I have researched some more and have posted some pictures of what the wiring harness connections to the EVIC and the non EVIC look like. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram quad Cab 4.7l SLT that has the EVIC on it (for sell by the way) and then I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7l St with basic cluster. I took pictures of what the wiring looked like in the back of these clusters and then took a picture of my uninstalled EVIC back to see the plugs. I didn't pull the clusters from the truck because it would be hard to get a photo of the wiring connections in the back. I also included some wiring scematics that I have pulled from Alldata (a online manual and the only one I could find) these show wiring for both the ST version of the cluster and the EVIC(the same). So its my conclusion that the back of the ST and the SLT have the same wiring at the back of the cluster. Everything seems to work fine when I plugged up the EVIC to my ST truck but the buttons and horn doesnt work as previously disscussed. Another issue comes up with the Steering Mounted Controls Communication Module Information. This module controls the buttons on the steering wheel and to the PCM i believe. I will have to research more on that to see if there are differnet versions on the ST and SLT.

Any input would greatly helpful. thanks!

Jon and Scott are the guys who run After Hours Mopar Performace their information can be found here http://www.lxforums.com/board/f395/
Emailing them would probably be your best option. They are loceted in Miami Florida, I plan on going there hopefully if this pans out at the begining of October.
Here is a link to the web photos i posted
https://picasaweb.google.com/1156511...eat=directlink

Last edited by Jonny3000; 09-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM
nyinstaller

hey guys,.

my name is jon , I am the guy who does the programing. etc.
Now in these cars the biggest thing is the programing. installing the hardware is half the battle. the second is programing to tell the car the new features.

NOw the dealer in most cases does not have the ability to modify the vehicle configuration profile. this profile tells the car what it has what it can do. gear ratios etc etc. they dont have the ability to modify individual fields. they can only modify the file via sales codes adding and removing them. thats it and they are limited to what is available to them.

Now i have not done a 2011 yet But i was told I can still connect to it. now when i say that i mean this. I have a tool that in some cars ie the new charger I need to buy a new odb cable for it to work. and its on backorder. now the rams have not changed over there pcms. etc so i am sure i can communicate with it no problem. same for the exoress vans etc.

the reason the horn does not work is just like in the chargers etc,.

before the swap the horn was a simple ground trigger, after the swap now the horn runs through the steering wheel controls. but becusae the controls are not active on the system the systems does not know how to communicate with it. , ie horn doesnt work.

Now problem is in order to program i need to be infront of the car. but no worries there is other guys who can do it. if you shoot me an email NYINSTALLER@AIM.com and tell me your location i can try and send you info for someone local.

Now as far as mileage goes,. I have the ability to program mileage in the cluster and pcm and everything else. but the tool i use was expensive so chances are these other guys can not program the mileage just the evic etc.

so anyways ive been a member on this forum for a long time and as you can see i dont have a high post count so if you need me shoot me an email and thats the best i can offer.

Now as far as the compass I am almost certain its in the over head module. now this module gets wired to the car via canbus power and ground. this is for the evic to display heading. and possible home link etc not sure.

on allmost all dodge clusters there is 4 plugs but only 3 get used.

hope this answered some questions.

later. jon

Quick Reply: added EVIC gauge cluster to my st ram