4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Newbie, Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
sdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie, Towing question

New here, hi to everyone. My question is i have a 2010 2500 5.7L with 4:10 gears, it has a rated towing capacity of 10,600 lbs. I am looking at getting a new 32ft. travel trailer with a fully loaded weight of 9,900 lbs. Will i have problems towing this, is it too much for my truck. Occasionally i might make trips that are a couple hundered miles or more, even if i can tow it , i want it to be a comfortable tow not white knuckle the whole trip. Any answers are appreciated, and honesty would be great too, as i can look for a lighter trailer. Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Truckerman
Rookie

As a professional truck driver I say no. It's to heavy you only going to have 700lbs for cargo and people. I see accidents all the time cause of improper towing. I say get something lighter just a bit lighter like 9,500 lbs. That will give you 1,100 lbs for cargo like bikes,dishes,food,people and all the gear you would need for a good camping trip. The most important thing to remember is to have a weight distributing hitch with sway control and electric brakes. Take your time when towing,allow your self more stoping distance. Hope this info helps you some.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Towing capacity is based on having ALL recommended accessories such as a weight distributing hitch, etc.

Even with that, you are almost at 100% capacity with nothing else loaded. Not to mention the thing is gonna get single digit fuel economy pulling it.

Also, I don't know about your state, but in mine, if LEO catches you over limit, he'll ticket the hell out of you and make you unhook at the side of the road and make arrangements to have someone with the proper capacity come get it.

A 10,000# load screams CTD...

Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71

A 10,000# load screams CTD...
I've never been like yes you need a diesel rather than gas. but yea.... about that..

and i've got the same truck as you, and I'd say that trailer is too much

Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
RoamingNortheasterner

As you are a newbie to towing:

You are under the Max. Towing capacity, that's a good start, but you have to consider the rest.

Max Tow capacity is the absolute most a truck can tow for that particular configuration of the vehicle. You say it is 10,600 so you must have a ST Hemi with 4.1 rear. I have a similar truck with slightly different ratings (2011 2500 Laramie Crew with 4.1 rear).

What you really have to look at is GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) which is the truck and driver (Curb Weight), all it's options, cargo and passengers (payload) and tow vehicle together. Your truck has a GCWR of 17,000 lbs.

So, you have to subtract your trucks curb weight from that, your truck has a curb weight of 6,239 (they include a 150 lb driver .. !!) The GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, meaning the curb weight plus options, passengers and payload, you should not exceed this either, 8,800 for your truck.

17,000 (GCWR) - 6239 (Curb Weight) = 10,761 rated weight remaining

Minus a 9,900 trailer (assuming this trailer is near 6,900 dry, probably 2,000 pounds you can load in trailer of clothes, dishes, etc.. bringing it to 9,900)

10,761 - 9,900 = 861 rated weight remaining

So, adding passengers, some truck cargo in the bed, more weight for the driver probably and you are either over the legal/rated limit, or right at it, which is what you never want to do even though the 2500 with Hemi may technically be able to handle it. (As an example if truck was loaded with payload - 17,000 (GCWR) - 8,800 (GVWR) = 8,200 only to tow safely)

As the other posters have said and pointed out, you either want something lighter, or a diesel for the heavier trailer. You definitely need a WD hitch either way.

As you have the truck already...The Hemi is well capable of towing and towing well, it does suck up the gas while towing, and it will not trot up hills like a Cummins does acting as if nothing is back there, but if you only tow every now and then, it's a great choice (heck..a dang F150 can tow 11,000#s).

Check the ultra-lite trailers, I have a 34 footer with slides that is 6,600 dry, 8,800 loaded, leaving lots of rated weight room for cargo, passengers, etc...

Quick Reply: Newbie, Towing question