4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Stock tires on snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 AM
bleuet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the tires to winter tires. The oem tires won't do you any good. I know from experience.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:07 AM
gutty96
Veteran

I went through an Ontario winter with them last year. They did fine, just had to make sure I was using 4wd Auto, and 4wd lock when needed. Also, I have driving in winter long enough with all season tires to know I need to give myself more time to stop and turn. My wife on the other hand, I am very happy she wanted a dedicated winter tire mounted on her Jeep GC, even though her summer tires are Firestone Destination AT's.

The snow should fly again here soon, I will take the second winter one snowfall at a time, and if I feel at all unsafe I will upgrade to a better tire. Most likely the Michelin LTX MS2.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any snow tire will be better on snow than anything else, they were made for it of course. :P

However in a truck, I think that an all terrain is your best bet if you are going to put a new set of tires on. You don't HAVE to take an all terrain off after the snowfall like you do a winter tire. BUT if you are not going to put a new set on, your stocks should be fine. As some others have stated you do have to be more careful then you would with winter/allterrain. On the other side of that your going to be careful anyways with your new truck. So I think for the first year or two you should be ok.

I live in Alberta, and we too get some pretty harsh winter storms. Worst thing is drifting here which makes for very hard driving. We will get 2 foot high drifts on the sides of our highways. Times where the plows just don't come out cause they cant keep up. Lots of guys around here stick with their stocks, put a little weight in the back, put it in 4x4 and they are just fine. Others put all all-terrains on (like myself) (except this year...no$$$) but you do feel a lot safer when you have a good set of tires on.

Its all personal preference, some people would rather run it in 4x4 more with weight in the box. Others want a good set of tires. Some want both. Its all what you feel safe in, you will just have to wait till winter to find out.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

they're fine. my dads truck went through the huge blizzard we had in maryland i think 2 years back? he's bone stock and only got stuck once, it all depends on the driver

Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Stumeat
Amateur

The stock 20" tires were TERRIBLE in the snow, my FWD car kicks my trucks butt in the winter!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
How are the factory tires on snow?
ANY factory tire is pretty much gonna suck.
If you live where the snow hits hard, buyyyyyyyyyy SNOW tires.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

I got 55k out of a set of SR-As on my 2006 Dakota. I have the same tire on my 2011 Ram. They aren't the greatest but they are durable, and they get around decent enough. I should mention my Dakota was 2WD and I live in Iowa. I drove it through some pretty bad snow/ice and never had any notable issues.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by Stumeat
The stock 20" tires were TERRIBLE in the snow, my FWD car kicks my trucks butt in the winter!
No really??? Its FWD, there is no comparison....your drivetrain is "pulling" your car, of course is going to be better. On ice that is...love to see you go through 2 feet of drifts...even with stock 20s and 4wd your trucks going to outdo your car...just sayin :P

Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 AM
gutty96
Veteran

Originally Posted by Nate769
No really??? Its FWD, there is no comparison....your drivetrain is "pulling" your car, of course is going to be better. On ice that is...love to see you go through 2 feet of drifts...even with stock 20s and 4wd your trucks going to outdo your car...just sayin :P
FWD's traction benefit is not a "pull" vs "push" thing. It is the weight of the engine is over the tires thing, vs an empty box with no weight over the tires.

A well balanced RWD car can be as good, or a better winter driving experience, as some people don't like the way FWD will "pull" you around corners, etc.

Last edited by gutty96; 10-13-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

I personally prefer RWD in the snow. I know where the rear ends going and how to correct if things get slick. FWD is unpredictable when you lose control.

Quick Reply: Stock tires on snow