4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

trailering

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 AM
jerrymi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailering

I have a 2010 quad cab with 4.7 motor. I believe it to be the standard package (i bought it used). I have a 7000 lbs trailer with electric brakes, i need to know if the round trailering plug on the truck will activate the trailer brakes. The round plug on the truck is factory there is also a flat 4way factory on the truck (the 4 way i know does not activate the brakes). I checked the manual and it says nothing about the either plug or about trailer brakes. Any help would be great THANK YOU.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:39 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. See http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-trav...ug-wiring.html. However, it requires the trailer brake controller be installed. The wire for brakes will do nothing without that in place. If you don't have the trailer brake controller to the lower left of the steering wheel (under the headlight ****) then you'll have to add it. You can add the Dodge factory model pretty easily (I believe Dodge has a kit for that now). Not sure about an aftermarket unit would connect into the wiring but it must be possible.

Rob

Old 10-15-2011, 03:37 PM
mightyduc998

+1
IDK about the OEm kit since the d bags here were trying to sell me an aftermarket for my 2010 ram 1500.
on my 2008 ram 3500 there was a wire there that went to the trailer brakes but i had to wire the other three wires in as with any other truck.
but the PITA wire was already in place.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM
jerrymi

Thank you guys so much. You anwsered my question dead on the money.

Quick Reply: trailering