4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

alignment good .. but tire wear uneven?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
minileprechaun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment good .. but tire wear uneven?

starting with the truck:
2010, 1500 SLT QC 4x4 TRX4
It has a Mopar lift on it.. 35in tires.

This fit in the tierod recall .. and dealership said only one side needed to be replaced.

I noticed uneven tire wear when i got the truck (8200 miles on it). inside of both rear tires were worn more than the outside. Front tires had normal, even wear.

First off .. rear wheels don't get aligned, correct?
I'm assuming the alignment issues are with the front tires, and the tires were rotated before i bought the truck.

Sooo, fast forward to now, i've put 3000 miles on the truck, rear wheels are the same degree of uneven wear, so that supports my idea that the rear is fine. But the front tires are getting uneven rear as noted above .. insides are worn quicker that outside. It's the same amount on driver/passenger side of car. Since it's only one side of the tire, it's not due to over/under inflation, but likely the toe-in/out, correct?

So i had the truck in recently .. and told them to check the alignment. Dealership says the alignment is fine.

Are they retarded .. or am i?
I have no vibrations on the highway or at all when driving. Truck pulls and stops in a straight line. Tire balance seems fine.

To recap .. two questions:
1) does the rear axle have to be aligned ever?
2) what is making the uneven wear on my front tires?

Thanks .. and i'm new here ..

Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM
minileprechaun

anything?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 PM
lineman07
Amateur

i have a rough country lift in my truck and am having wear problems as well took it back for a 4 wheel alignment 3 times and the truck pulls to the left still and tires are going wonkie ..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

problem with the alignment process is that they do it with the truck empty and not "real life". With bigger heavier tires, the front end behaves differently on the road and the shocks may not be able to keep the tires on the road flat so if you got a full tank of gas and some stuff in the bed of the truck, the front end lifts and floats some and the tires wear out on the outsides. Some old guys that know how to align will compensate for this, they will set the alignment per the spec, drive the truck and do some more tuning till they get it right. The alignment machine will/may say it's off, but the truck steers correctly and the tires wear better. Find some old guy that has been doing alignments for 30 years and give him a shot. Also, once the tires are worn, the alignment will be hard to do. The best time to do the alignment is on brand new tires.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 11-07-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Quick Reply: alignment good .. but tire wear uneven?