4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking for a truck. New here with questions. Help me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Fatandre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a truck. New here with questions. Help me.

Hi there guys. I am new and looking for a truck.
What I would like is a short cabin and a 4x4.
How does the 4x4 work. Is it fulltime?
What about towing with the 4 gen? I would be using it to tow my other rig and bring wood and all sort of things?
I ask because I read that the new ram has springs on the rear.
I have been debating on getting the Ram or the Silverado.
Also when swearching for a truck I see SLT. What does that mean.
What I would need is a truck wich is able to tow, with 4x4, short cab, but for 4 persons.
When it comes to MPG is the hemi so much worse than the normal v8?
I have also heard about problems in snow regardingthe mechanizm to freeze up. How to awoid that?

Last edited by Fatandre; 11-07-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatandre
Hi there guys. I am new and looking for a truck.
What I would like is a short cabin and a 4x4.
How does the 4x4 work. Is it fulltime?
What about towing with the 4 gen? I would be using it to tow my other rig and bring wood and all sort of things?
I ask because I read that the new ram has springs on the rear.
I have been debating on getting the Ram or the Silverado.
Also when swearching for a truck I see SLT. What does that mean.
What I would need is a truck wich is able to tow, with 4x4, short cab, but for 4 persons.
When it comes to MPG is the hemi so much worse than the normal v8?
I have also heard about problems in snow regardingthe mechanizm to freeze up. How to awoid that?
Hello there, and welcome. First of you have definitely come to the right place! Most of guys here pride ourselves in our dodges, especially me! Haha

So Dodge does not make an extended cab. They have regular, quad, crew, and mega (only available in the 2500/3500 i think) The quad is dodges "extended" cab. So basically dodge has stepped away from the suicide door idea and went with a full 4 door. Now I have a quad cab, and it has enough room for when your taking people with you every so often. I just have to move the seats up a little and everything is pretty good. However if you have passengers on a regular basis, crew is what you want(you will loose a foot or so of box space tho)

As far as 4x4 goes, depends on what package you get. I have an auto option, this just means that I am in 4x4 mode but the front diff is not running more than 10% power. So you still have 90% on the rears 10% on the front, when you loose traction it converts that to 50/50 or something like that, you get the point im sure.

This option is only available on the higher models. So they go ST, SLT, SPORT, LARAMIE, LONGHORN. From smaller to largest. You will just have to decide on your options, and that will put you in whichever model you want.

Towing with this truck is hit and miss. For me and lots of other guys, if you are towing a trailer with a Weight distribution hitch (most of the time you are!) We never have issues. Some guys do, but I think most of them are pulling without a WDH, or just are overloading there truck. Payload on the 11s are 1700lbs, and towing capacity is 10500lbs. So I pull our 30 foot holiday trailer perfectly. Its just in how your set up.

WITH THAT, those coils in the rear are amazing for ride quality. You will never find a truck that rides as good as this one, it drives like a car, the rear does not sway, its perfect in my mind. Ram is the only one that has it.

As for MPG, I don't have any problems. The Hemi has MDS, it cuts from 8 cyl to 4. Some guys complain about it but I don't. I drive on pretty flat barron land and am driving in 4 cyl mode almost 80% of the time. I can get 850kms on a tank of fuel (120L tank) The nice thing about the hemi is yes MPG might be 2-4 lower then a chev or Ford. BUT with the hemi if you need the power, it is most certainly there! As for it being better then a normal V8, like the vortec or so? It might get 1 or 2 less, but it depends on how you drive it. You will get more power out of it!

As for the snow and the tranny...Im not sure whats going on there because I have yet to see it. I think most of them are 09s that are having that issue (but don't quote me) my 11 has not had any problems yet. I have been driving in snow, but not 2 feet yet.

Hope this helps, let us know what happens!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Towing capacity is 10,500 on a 2wd with 17 inch tire/wheel and 3.92 gear and Hemi. Everything else is less. As far as fuel MPG, compared to Ford and Chevy the Hemi with MDS(Chevy has it also) is equivalent. The Fords and Chevy's advertised to get better mileage are the smaller less horsepower engines.

Last edited by hounddogg; 11-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Fatandre

What a great answer.
I posted on a different forum because a friend of mine told me to get a Chevy diesel.
What about the diesel in the rams?
I live in europe and was thinking petrol, because then I could do a Metan gas conversion. Thats ok by me.
Most of the guys tell me to pick the Chevy.

Those are the answers I get.

Petrol Engine = Chevy
Diesel Engine = Dodge

^ What he said...
Minus I'd never buy a gas pickup... Diesel ftw!

Chevy 100% if gas powered. Longer lasting and the interior will not fall apart. Best advice I can give.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Fatandre

Originally Posted by hounddogg
Towing capacity is 10,500 on a 2wd with 17 inch tire/wheel and 3.92 gear and Hemi. Everything else is less. As far as fuel MPG, compared to Ford and Chevy the Hemi with MDS(Chevy has it also) is equivalent. The Fords and Chevy's advertised to get better mileage are the smaller less horsepower engines.

Why is it less on a 4wd?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

4wd takes horsepower and torque. Power is going though a transfer case(loss of torque) and other parts of the drive train. You are also turning two diffs,drive shafts,axels etc. 4wd is always less towing capacity even in diesels. I don''t buy the Chevy is longer lasting and better interiors. Maybe way back in the past.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Fatandre

But the 4x4 is something you turn on. If it is turned off then you can tow more, right?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

NO. 4x4 takes torque and horse power just to get through the transfer case. More stuff spinning and turning.Bigger tires and wheels. All 4x4 have LESS towing capacity. All manufactures have charts showing the wow ratings with what equipment. 4x4 is always less.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Fatandre

But for me, who is looking for a car for everyday driving and towing maybe a car and some wood? The 4wd would be sweet.
What do you think of the longhorn?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Its a high end package is all I can say. Its all the bells and whistiles isn't it? If you go 4x4 get the 3.92 gears.

Quick Reply: Looking for a truck. New here with questions. Help me.