4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Remote Start Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a factory installed remote and it works perfectly all the time, i can start my truck from inside buildings no problem, the first question you want to ask your dealer or after market guy is due they cut into the wiring harness if they say yes run away you'll have nothing but headaches down the road, if the dealer has an oem unit it probably plugs into your existing harness.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darek117
I bought my truck used 1 owner from a dealer it doesn't have power anything. Windows i dont really care about, it is a single cab so not really needed but i would love remote start and power locks with a keyfob. Can i just go to any dealer and get this installed and what do you think im looking to pay? I didnt put it on my truck from the dealer bc i wanted to keep my payments as low as possible and the dealer was a used car dealer. My truck was a repo so i got it for a hell of a deal.
The wiring harness you need for factory remote start is already in your truck and waiting for you to buy the factory kit.
Any stealership can install it, question is, are they smart enough to know how. Plug-n-play, then flash.
You could install the unit yourself, then have the dealer flash your truck to except it.
As for price, go to ebay, way cheaper than a dealer. See them on there often for couple hundred bucks.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No More GM's For Me.
I have a factory installed remote and it works perfectly all the time, i can start my truck from inside buildings no problem, the first question you want to ask your dealer or after market guy is due they cut into the wiring harness if they say yes run away you'll have nothing but headaches down the road, if the dealer has an oem unit it probably plugs into your existing harness.
I absolutely agree 200%...! NEVER cut OR splice into any wiring harness..!!! Thats just begging for trouble...PERIOD
Factory remote start + PLUG-N-PLAY = PRICELESS

Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

My OEM alarm works from hundreds of feet away, in concrete parking garages, from outside them, and everywhere else I have tried it.

In the cold winter, I frequently start it 4 or 5 floors up, from across the Fox River, a couple hundred feet away..... I've even started it from inside the garage elevator. It's never failed.

Like others have said, run as fast as you can from anyone wanting to cut into your wiring harness.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Jackstep0832
Amateur

hey i have an 07 dodge ram 5.7l...i wana get remote start through the dealership...only question i have is with the mirror defrosters that came with my truck...every time i start it i got to hit that button on my dash for the mirrors to defrost...is there anyway they can hook it up so that when i hit the remote start the mirrors defrost as well??

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM
rdculus
Veteran

The factory remote turns the heat and defrost on, heated seats and steering wheel automatically if you have them in cold weather. It has limited range and only 1 way capability, which means if you can't see it start then it probably didn't and you have no way o knowing. Factory unit will only let you start the truck twice Consecutively then you have to manually cycle the key. It's a plug and Play unit so no splicing, it has safety features such as low fuel protection, it won't remote start if your low fuel indicator is on.
An aftermarket unit will probably at least double your range, you can get two way notification you can now get hooked up to start, stop, lock/unlock and check the status of your vehicle with your smartphone, which gives you uimited distance. Also unlimited run cycles and longer run times with the aftermarket unit.
It really depends what's important to you, look at the pros and cons of each and make a decision.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Jackstep0832
Amateur

ok thanks, i would like the mirrors to defrost too with the remote start, but i didnt know if that was possible...i know everytime i have to hit the defrost button for the mirrors to defrost, it just doesnt come on no matter what my settings were left at when i turned the truck off.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 AM
rdculus
Veteran

Just a heads up for you
My mirrors crack when I use the defrost in extreme cold weather (-30celcius/ -22'f)
It's happened twice so I'm glad they don't come on automatically on mine

Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Wahrsuul
Amateur

I got my 09 QC SLT used. It only had the one fob. At $150 from the dealer, I instead opted for the Remote start option which would add value and give me an additional 2 fobs. I was originally quoted around $425 as well, but ended up only paying $375. Installing the unit may be simple, but you'll still have to take it to the dealer to get it activated.

Something else - someone mentioned the remote start turning on the defroster and such. That may work on the fully automatic trucks, but I have the manual controls for hvac, and if I don't set them the night before, they're not on when I get in in the morning. I don't have heated seats or wheel, and if I turn on the mirror defroster, hen turn the truck off, the defroster does not come back on when restarted.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Truckerman
Rookie

All of the following conditions must be met before the engine will remote start:
• Shift lever in PARK
• Doors closed
• Hood closed
• HAZARD switch off
• BRAKE switch inactive (brake pedal not pressed) • Ignition key removed from ignition switch
• Battery at an acceptable charge level • RKE PANIC button not pressed
• Fuel meets minimum requirement Range 300ft.

Last edited by Truckerman; 12-12-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Options