4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

6.1 or 6.4 L Ram HD possible release date

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have seen the ram box before and I have seen it with full sheets of Sheetrock or plywood in them to. I believe the 2500 are also wider so the box may be wider. The megacabs cone with a 6.4 box also so hangover with tailgate down would be minimal. and right now I do store tools in my backseat and I hate it so I want a rambox. I always have people with me so I always have to move the tools in the box anyways.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

well i just went and measured in between wheel wells, 49.5 (49-1/2") inches. so again, id love to see pictures of the ram box bed carrying 4x8 sheets of drywall or plywood. at the same time, something tells me dodge had to have known that and made sure it fits. But I know when I went to look at them I took one look and said, thats ridiculous. but to each his own. but again, pictures speak a thousand words.

but what do you think about 38s on a gas engine? the 2500 can come with 4.10s, but your mileage is still going to be beyond terrible

Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 AM
Xdcinc

So a 4x8 is 48 inchs and you have 49.5 in between wells. seems that would fit.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 AM
iskybantilus
Professional

with the 5'7" bed and tailgate down its only a few inches short of 8 feet.

how long is the bed on the 2500 with the ramboxes?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Anytime you lift a truck mileage=less. If the guy has been putting lifts on his old truck I believe if I recall 5 inch and 35s? It does not take a dummy to know that if you go higher with bigger size tires its gonna be worse. I'm pretty sure the thought ran across his mind, and I know that the extra 5 grand or whatever it is to get into a diesel can buy a lot of fuel, without the hassle of maintenance and at least here in Canada 12cents higher per liter..... Not to mention not all people are worried about mileage, some people are independently wealthy

2. Rambox? You went out and measured your truck right? Came up with a number of 49.5? Last time I checked a standard sheet of plywood or drywall was 4X8' or 48X96"....mmmmm my math skills tell me that 48 is a SMALLER number then 49.5 so in theory it should fit. Plus I see many trucks full of these sheets.

I'm not trying to be rude here guys but give your heads a shake!

Nathangfnd...Personally I like the thought of the rambox. I am an electrician by trade, and I love the idea. (for my work truck to clarify I would have no use for it personally) I am starting to see them pop up all around the city of Calgary as I mentioned. I do haul an enclosed 12 foot trailer around so I have lots of space there. But whenever I need to run across the city for a service call or even out of town 400kms for a service call, it would be nice not to pull the trailer with me. When you have a crew of 4 guys its pretty hard to put tools in the back seat. So you have to put them in the bed. Well if your bed is full of boxes of equipment or like many tradesmens beds, garbage you have not thrown out. It would be nice to have a dedicated area for tools. If the tool is not in the rambox its not with you. Plus you would not have to run back and grab the trailer to make sure you had EVERYTHING. Your tools are always with you, and the new equipment you buy on the way...

As far as the space in the bed goes, as an electrician we need the trailer because no bed could fit all our materials. But its plenty if we have to get conduit or rolls of wire. This rambox idea would be great for anyone like this. But for personal non working trucks no....

Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdram43
well i just went and measured in between wheel wells, 49.5 (49-1/2") inches. so again, id love to see pictures of the ram box bed carrying 4x8 sheets of drywall or plywood. at the same time, something tells me dodge had to have known that and made sure it fits. But I know when I went to look at them I took one look and said, thats ridiculous. but to each his own. but again, pictures speak a thousand words.

but what do you think about 38s on a gas engine? the 2500 can come with 4.10s, but your mileage is still going to be beyond terrible
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/t...apacities.html

Here are the dimensions. It has about the same width wall to wall as yours does between the wheel wells. But since some people cant read or are strictly a visual learner then feel free to check this out.
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ywall_1600.jpg

Last edited by jayman84; 12-15-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by jayman84
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/t...apacities.html

Here are the dimensions. It has about the same width wall to wall as yours does between the wheel wells. But since some people cant read or are strictly a visual learner then feel free to check this out.
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ywall_1600.jpg
I looked for a pic for a half hour and could not find one...thanks for posting that...proof is in the pic!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Nate769
I looked for a pic for a half hour and could not find one...thanks for posting that...proof is in the pic!
LOL - how many times have you loaded up a bunch of drywall or plywood and thought - I think I'll take a picture just in case I ever have to post it on the internet.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldjeep
LOL - how many times have you loaded up a bunch of drywall or plywood and thought - I think I'll take a picture just in case I ever have to post it on the internet.
how many times does a certain member on here have to hi-jack a thread and insult someone who has spent hard earned money on a truck saying that it is useless and can't haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood around. And then he has the nerve once its proven that it will fit to force someone to come up with a picture of it before he will acknowledge that he is wrong. Honestly....we are here to support each other and lend some of our knowledge to these new guys and not criticize them on their purchase.

not picking on you at all oldjeep.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by jayman84
not picking on you at all oldjeep.
Didn't think you were, just thought it was funny that there was actually a picture out there of drywall in the bed of a rambox.

Quick Reply: 6.1 or 6.4 L Ram HD possible release date