4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Help determining which options are worth it? big horn? Nav? Bench vs. Buckets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help determining which options are worth it? big horn? Nav? Bench vs. Buckets?

I'm trying to decide between two rams now. Decided to go 4x4 instead of 4x2.

One's a 2011 SLT quad cab 4x4 bighorn
One's a 2011 SLT Crew cab 4x4

The bighorns cheaper ($2000 less).

Differences:
Bucket seats vs. bench seats
17" vs. 20" wheels
Big horn package vs. non-big horn
Quad headlamps vs. reg.
Fog lamps?
430N (nav) or just the 430
32 gallon tank vs. 26 gallon?
Quad vs. crew?

Our thoughts:
My wife doesnt like the idea of bucket seats because she likes to be able to lay down on long trips- Leaning towards bench?
20 vs 17- 20's always better, but I dont think I care much?
Big horn is a stupid name, but I like the dual exhaust?
Quad headlamps- gimmick or worth it?
Fog lamps- worth it?
Nav- Worth it?
32 gallon tank, I like.
Quad vs. crew- Is it worth the extra $3000 for the crew? I've never had a 4 door (just sold my std. cab), but need to be able to haul a baby, which is why I'm upgrading, and it wouldnt hurt to be able to stick someone back there if you have to, right?

Any feedback appreciated- The big horns a lot cheaper, PLUS has the 20s, the bench seats, the dual exhaust, the quad headlamps, fog lights, and 32 gallon tank.

Only negatives is it doesnt have the nav or the larger rear seat, but the quad should be plenty for a kid or two, or to give someone a ride if they need to, right? I miss having nav in my old car too... but doesnt it just get out of date after 6 mo? Is there anything else better that comes standard with the crew?

The color kinda bites on the big horn too, but your thoughts on the rest are appreciated!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) I like the bench seats best, always have
2) Nav - I prefer not to have it built in, I've seen a few go bad and you have to replace the whole radio. I have my portable Garmin.
3) I went from an extended cab (GM) to the Crew Cab. I love the CC, lots of room for things and packing crates fit in unlike the quad. I do miss the longer bed.
4) 17" tires are cheaper
5) I wish I had the 32 gallon tank, especially when towing
6) Fog & quad lights I have no opinion. Probably a better option for both

Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a 2010 slt bighorn quad

if you arent carrying adults in back seat, and want bed space, get the quad

i think bighorn comes with 20" wheels. they look better but ride just a smidge rougher and cost more when you need new tires.

bench seat is nothing but buckets with a flip up seat in the center.

bucket as they call it has a large center console with console shift.

quad lights have better output than duals.

however the crew cab has storage bins in the floor behind the front seats that can be used as coolers. if that and the marginal extra room is not worth $3k more to you get the bighorn quad cab bench seats.

i think you already know you want the bighorn qc and reading your needs its right for you. the qc has about the same space as a full size chevy extended cab maybe a lil more. ive had my dad in the back seat of my qc and hes 5'10" had to slide up the pass seat though

oh and if you gotta have nav get the dealer to put in the nav radio in the bighorn. its interchangeable. it may cost extra but i doubt itll be 3000 extra. they may throw it in with the purchase.

Last edited by Cmerritt84; 12-31-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:42 PM
04_ramslt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your planning on putting kids in the back anytime soon I would go with the crew cab. I dont own but i've test drove both the quad and crew and it's a pain putting car seats in the back. I'm 6'1 and have to move the seat up quite a bit to fit a car seat behind me in a quad cab. Hope this helps, goodluck

Quick Reply: Help determining which options are worth it? big horn? Nav? Bench vs. Buckets?