4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Is it possible to add uconnect for under $1500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it possible to add uconnect for under $1500?

Finally picked out a ram that will do everything I want, but it has no bluetooth. It will cost us $4000 to add bluetooth (because we dont value the other options it comes with).

I know I added bluetooth on my 2nd gen ram by putting in a blue tooth head unit, but it never worked as well as the stock units.

Is it possible to add uconnect for under $1500 or so? willing to go up to $2500 if its easier to do it with adding the 430 touchscreen unit.

thanks!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Yes it is possible. The dealer can install it for about $400. If you want the optional Ipod cable (it is recommended even if you don't use an iPod. you will need the USB connection for any future Uconnect updates as well as playing media on a thumb drive). I think this cable is about $35
You can also do this yourself if you can turn a wrench. The parts can be found online as well as finding a 430 or 430N radio. Replacing the radio is a simple plug and play, from there the Uconnect module harness plugs into the radio and you mount a mic on the "A" pillar plastic trim. Some will say that you don't have to mount it there and that you can mount it here or there. However the best place is in line of sight with your speaking. Meaning that we talk straight ahead and not downward toward the radio or even lower. So the best place for the mic is out in front of you (and actually the best place would be right on the headliner just in front of you. However this would take mounting the mic and piercing the headliner to run the wire. So on the "A" pillar is the next best thing.
Hope this helps you out.

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
Finally picked out a ram that will do everything I want, but it has no bluetooth. It will cost us $4000 to add bluetooth (because we dont value the other options it comes with).

I know I added bluetooth on my 2nd gen ram by putting in a blue tooth head unit, but it never worked as well as the stock units.

Is it possible to add uconnect for under $1500 or so? willing to go up to $2500 if its easier to do it with adding the 430 touchscreen unit.

thanks!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM
2011BlackRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the kit myself, I paid $245 online for it, took about an hour to install. Had to take it to the dealer afterwards so they could flash it into my computer and activate it.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM
xsdbs
Captain

This is correct also, the one thing that you want to find out when buying the kit though is the PN on the main module itself. If it's an 05064635AG unit, you will want to perform the Uconnect SW update to it after the install. This is also true even if you have the dealer do the install with an off the shelf unit from their parts dept.
If you don't have the update done then the streaming audio will play fast and choppy. Also if you plug in an iPod or IPhone to the USB cable connector, the Apple product won't read correctly and there will be an "error occurred" message on the radio screen. If you have the dealer do the job, mention to them that you would like them to perform the TSB # 08-036-11 Rev A to the system.
If you do the install yourself, then PM me with an email address an I can supply you with the SW update and instructions for it. It is just a matter of downloading the file to a thumb drive and plug the thumb drive into the Uconnect USB connector and a few more steps. Takes about 20 minutes to perform.
As I mentioned in the 1st post here, It is advised to get the optional iPod / USB cable. It is needed for any Uconnect updates.

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRam
I installed the kit myself, I paid $245 online for it, took about an hour to install. Had to take it to the dealer afterwards so they could flash it into my computer and activate it.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to add uconnect for under $1500?