4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bed cover options...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
BullyT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed cover options...

My 2009 Ram 1500 is my first pick-up truck. Right now, I don't have a cover for the bed but have decided I need to get one. (Just came back from a trip and had to put luggage in plastic totes in the bed so they wouldn't get covered in snow).

A friend has a hard cover that is color-matched to his Ram but he said it was a PITA anytime you put something large (tall) in the truck...have to remove the whole cover. Other options are a soft tonneau cover or a hard cover that folds in sections. I like the idea of the folding hard cover but again I've never had any experience so I'd love to hear some opinions and pros and cons of the different types. Would also appreciate on brands/manufacturers. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

I also have an 09 Ram. I put on an Undercover (classic). Its secure, strong and comes off in about 2 minutes. This is the second one I've owned and if I can ever talk my wife in to another new truck, I'll buy another.

http://undercoverinfo.com/new_classic.php

Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
plumcrazy73
Captain

undercover se looks better on the trucks in my opinion

Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Nate769
All Star

I have a roll and lock. Its the hard cover like a garage door almost but its a little pricey! Yes it takes up a foot of upper box space at the front, but man I love it. Its hard enough to keep "honest" intruders out, it will lock every foot, and best of all its super easy!
In comparison, the tri fold flips, which are alright and provide almost the same security, however when you go to open them up your going to loose sight from your back window, and its either full open or fully closed.
They have the soft cover roll ups, which are good price wise and whatnot but if you want any kind of security you might as well put a tarp over your box because thats pretty much the security your going to be getting.
The full tilt box covers are very good security wise, and look good on the truck. But like it was said as soon as you want to haul something over the height your hooped!

I guess its all in what your going to be using your bed for, I use my cover lots because all my tools and everything are out of the cab and in the bed. Its nice to just unlock it and roll it back with one hand grab what I need roll it back up all with one hand.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM
BullyT
Professional

Great info. This is exactly why I posted here...to get the benefit of everybody's experience. Appreciate it!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

I like my Access Loredo. It's a roll up. Very sturdy and well made. I highly recommend it.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

I have Lorado as well. Been very durable I will give it that. I use mine pretty often and the velcro on it is still working perfectly. Came off my '06 so that is pretty good for still looking like brand new.

I just need to find a good bed mat now. That damn plastic liner su@*s. I probably should go it sprayed, just too cheap.....

Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

I have a Leer 800 solid cover painted to match the truck. Good security, looks good, doesn't leak, costs a lot and limits you to carrying things under about 27" tall. If you use your bed a lot for hauling stuff, look somewhere else for a cover.
Jay

Old 01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
StevoT

Like Nate769, I also have the Roll N Lock.

An additional feature I like about it, is it has intermittent points which it will stay open.

You can have it fully open, 2/3 open, 1/3 open and fully closed. So say, you have a lawnmower in the back, you can have the cover 2/3 closed with the handle sticking out the back.

The vinyl material is also great, it doesn't reflect sunlight, like other rolling covers. Comes with a spray to protect from UV rays. I've had mine for almost a year. No complaints whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Bed cover options...