4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

cat back ehaust vs. flowmaster and tips /???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
my2011ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat back ehaust vs. flowmaster and tips /???

I just bought a 2011 ram 1500 crew with the hemi.Was told to spend the 725.00 bucks for the catback exhaust because just adding a flowmaster muffler and tips would sound and look good but would hurt the performance of the truck/? is that true? muffler and tips 300.00 any info on this??thanks

Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Moved to 4th Gen area.

Catbacks are all about sound...very little performance. Flowmasters or ANY chambered mufflers will hurt flow. You'll have alot of MDS droning/shutter sound with a catback unless you purchase a tuner and disable the MDS from activating. It'll sound like there's a helicopter in water underneath your truck. Very annoying pulsating sound, so unless you are going to go with a tuner and disbale mds, stick with just a muffler replacement. Even then you'll still hear it with your resonators left in place!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't want to spend the $$ on a catback...buy a magnaflow muffler (or whatever brand you prefer) I'd stay away from Slowmaster..chambered plus it'll rust out quick! Then if you want to replace the soda can tips that come stock on the truck go to a local shop and buy some bigger tips. Then pay to have them weld it all on and spend close to $400 for everything (at a quality shop, not meineke!) So save up a little more $$ and go w/ catback.

I just bought a magnaflow cat back stainless exhaust for my truck not to long ago...it was pricey but worth it. The 5" stainless double walled tips that stick out the *** of my truck say it all... It's not to loud when cruising or idle but when you romp on it people know your there! Shop around and you can find it well under $600 . Patience surfing the internet and you can shave some shiny coin. If I remember correctly I paid 530(ish) w/ free shipping to my door! Also you can install this in your driveway w/ minimal tools (since your truck is new it should be easier). I took mine to a shop and paid to get it installed b/c I had them weld in a maggy y-pipe while it was all off.

Here's a pic of my tips

IMAG0171 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

IMAG0168 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

IMAG0170 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

IMAG0172 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Peter sask
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done the complete system including trueduals long headers? is it worth it?

Quick Reply: cat back ehaust vs. flowmaster and tips /???