4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Truck brands, what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Truck brands, what would you buy?

I'm considering a new truck, a 1500 frame, 4wd quad cab, really unsure of make's, For sure Ford is not a option, but the new 5.0 tempts me.

I have given up the man transmisson, or up gradding to a ctd just to get a 6sp man.

Gmc or chevy, with the 5.3 is kinda were I'm leaning to, as I drive the 6.0 3/4 ton version at work.

My 3rd gen dodge, while I still had warenty was a good truck and has paid for its self, but loyality is going to burn me if I keep this big old work horse.

thiers only 120,000 km on the clock, but all my past warenty fixs are due again, and I can't justify putting money into a cargo hauler that sits in my back yard with teathing pains..

I really don't like the style of the new dodge rams, head room seams smaller than in my third gen ram.

Are the spark plugs on the 4rth gen ram harder to change or are they abought the same as the the 3rd gen?

what are the real word milage numbers for the 5.7 ??

I now every one has had issues with a specfic brand at one point in time, if Dodge was not a option for trucks what would you buy?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 PM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure every single person here will tell you dodge, i mean c'mon that's a dumb question hehehe.

They all have their problems and pro's, but in my opinion Dodge is the sexiest by far.!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
BullyT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm....you're on a Dodge Ram 4th Generation website and you're asking what truck we'd recommend buying? I looked into Ford and GM, test drove a few, and as soon as I drove my 2009 Ram with Hemi I knew it was the one I wanted. Love the truck and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Nate769
All Star

I agree with the other guys too, you did come to a dodge forum haha. Dodge is the best IMO on the market today. If your looking at the new Ford ecoboost, I encourage you to look up transmission issues and possible re-calls. It is pretty bad, and you will see why.

GM and chevs power can not equate to the 5.7 hemi, I drove an 09 chev half ton for work, I think it was the 5.3, compared to my dodge it just seemed like it could not tow a trailer. Also if you like the style of them, go for it because it doesn't seem they like change. They have kept the same body style for YEARS, and those stupid square wheel wells.

I will give you a few things about the dodge, they have a rear coil suspension. You will not find a half ton that rides as good as this. It rides and drives, you could say like an oversize car. They have the top power/fuel ratios, some say its a little bit of a hog on fuel, and it might be compared to others. But with the MDS technology it works well in my area. ALSO if I want to pull anything, thats where the gains of having a hemi are. It will get the most MPGs while towing. There are people who compare the hemi to the ecoboost, I don't want to get into it too much, or see an argument about it. But the ecoboost claims to be a V6 with the same pulling specs of a hemi, and the MPGs of a V6. This could be true, they might make 2-4 MPG better then the hemi. But when it comes time to pulling, the hemi will do 2-4 MPG better there. AND the fact that V6 fuel economy does you no good when its waiting for tranny :P

As far as import trucks go, well lets just not go there. They don't have the "workhorse" rep like a north american truck goes. AND they cost like 30 grand more for the same thing! Ride nice tho, but comparable to the new ram IMO.

You mentioned the head room in the RAM? Which truck were you looking at. There is a common mistake from MANY owners looking at them all. Dodges does not create an "extended" cab, they have a quad. Basically they don't create anything with suicide doors anymore. MANY people walk to a dodge take one look at it and go OH its a crew cab it has 2 doors! Then look in thinking its a crew but its really a quad and say it has no space. The quads have 1.5 feet LESS of space, and also probably 4-6 inches LESS in roof height. So if your heading in, check a CREW if you think you don't have enough head clearence.

If that makes sense in any way!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Patsfan
Professional

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I'm considering a new truck, a 1500 frame, 4wd quad cab, really unsure of make's, For sure Ford is not a option, but the new 5.0 tempts me.

I have given up the man transmisson, or up gradding to a ctd just to get a 6sp man.

Gmc or chevy, with the 5.3 is kinda were I'm leaning to, as I drive the 6.0 3/4 ton version at work.

My 3rd gen dodge, while I still had warenty was a good truck and has paid for its self, but loyality is going to burn me if I keep this big old work horse.

thiers only 120,000 km on the clock, but all my past warenty fixs are due again, and I can't justify putting money into a cargo hauler that sits in my back yard with teathing pains..

I really don't like the style of the new dodge rams, head room seams smaller than in my third gen ram.

Are the spark plugs on the 4rth gen ram harder to change or are they abought the same as the the 3rd gen?

what are the real word milage numbers for the 5.7 ??

I now every one has had issues with a specfic brand at one point in time, if Dodge was not a option for trucks what would you buy?

I test drove a GMC quad with the 4.8 before I bought the Ram and it was a dog. If your considering GM than for sure get the 5.3. I like the four doors opposed to the suicide on the GMC. The plugs are a pain but not ridiculous to change, three hours taking my time. I also own a GMC Sierra (wife's truck) and don't like the cabin compared to my Ram and don't find anymore headroom than my Dodge. I think the Ram is sexier than GM and love the Hemi. It's all personal preference. Good luck with the purchase.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

your on a frickin dodge forum man

Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 AM
LU229
Banned

Cyclone429

I`m definately not brand loyal, and the 4th gen dodge is the truck i chose for many a reason.
Hands down, a far better truck overall than ANY ford or chevy. (dodge FINALLY built a nice truck...!!!!)
Realworld Numbers (MPG) My 2010 hemi gets an average of 16city, 22highway most the time. Not at all bad for 400hp..!

Dodge screwed up a couple things with these 4th gen truck`s (Torque Convertor noise & MDS vibrations) but its surely nothing that will leave you stranded like a ford or chevy will. Chevy`s new fuel management system isnt any different than the dodge as far as torsional vibrations go when its in 4cyl mode... chevy has the same problem. Theirs isnt fixed yet either from vibrating in 4cyl mode. Chevy is also having a few issues starting to show up with bad rear differentials. (may be due to the transmissions locking up and breaking the pinion off, also breaking crankshafts for the same reason. Chevy has a trans software issue) Ford has bad transmission problems with their 1/2 ton trucks. Pull into any ford truck dealer lots and you`ll see a few sitting there waiting for the backordered transmissions to come in.

The chevy 5.3 is a dog (certainly not any better on MPG`s than the hemi)
The ford ECOBOOST is a grenade waiting to explode. That motor is already maxed out.

What ever you chose to buy, drive them all and THEN decide what you like best.
Just my opinion, drive ALL the others first, then jump in the dodge hemi, the dodge will win you over after you ride in it.
Nicer interior, far better ride and handling. And lets not forget, that GREAT hemi sound...! prrrrrrr...booRAHHHHHHHHH...!!!!!!! (hehehe)

Last but not least...ENJOY whatever you buy, its YOUR money thats paying for it.

Last edited by LU229; 01-20-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 AM
frogslinger
Captain

I have owned current generation trucks from all of the big three.
Interior: Dodge is the nicest, GM is the worst. Ford has easily the best stereo/bluetooth setup.
Exterior: Personal opinion but dodge has the best, Ford has the worst (unless you buy a Raptor... which I did, then that thing looks better than a Ram)
Ride: Dodge has the best, Ford and chevy have the same (Unless you buy a Raptor which rides better than the Dodge)
Transmission: On the 1500 it is pretty close between ford and chevy with Ram a distant third.
Upgrades: This is where the other two will kill the Ram... not selectable lockers, no aftermarket gears (for the 11+) no aftermarket posi (for the 11+), no front LSD (for the 02+), way fewer choices for shocks, fewer lift kit options, fewer dressup options.
Engine: The GM and Ford 6.2 are higher output motors than the 5.7 hemi. They get about the same gas mileage, and are not as rev happy, putting down their torque earlier in a more truck like fashion. Comparing the 5.7 to the 5.3 is not really a fair comparison. The 5.3 is more in a class with the dodge 4.7. The 6.2s are now available accross most of the Ford/GM line of trucks.
Resale: Ford then Chevy then RAM
Price new: Ram, Chevy, Ford (unless you are military in which case you can probably get as good a deal on a GM as a Mopar).

Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Although I've owned a lot of GM cars in the past (ex-GM employee), I've only owned two GM trucks. My most recent Ram is the fourth Dodge truck I've owned.

Without going in to past history on my GMs, here is my opinion.

The Ram 1500s surpass their competition in most respects. As pointed out, this last generation is definitely the smoothest half-ton out there. They handle great, the interior appointment is better than GM and on par with F-150. I've found mine to exceptionally quiet.

Mine's proven to have more power than the 5.3 GM or 5.4 Fords. The Titan and Tundras with the 5.7 are very quick, but when I've talked to their owners I hear really dismal complaints about gas mileage. I typically average 18+ MPG weekly in the summer and have hit over 24 MPG (unloaded).

In my opinion the Ram has the best powertraoin. I have the 545RFE, which has a bullet-proof reputation. The 2012s now use the the 645RFE, which is the same transmission, but now a true, sequential six speed.

My Dodge trucks have been extremely reliable. I cannot say that about my GMs.

Based on personal experience the new Silverados ride better than older versions, but are below the Ram in every other respect. their latest 4L80 tranny has been a source of complaints (constant gear hunting - check the web).

Ford, in general, builds a good truck, but I don't like the high lift over of the box and the 5.4s I've been in are noisey, slow, and thirsty. Haven't been in a F150 since they updated all of their engines, but in general the style doesn't catch my eye.

Although there have been five Nissan products in my family, and I drove a '93 Sentra for ten almost perfect years, I would stay away from Titans just because their owners seem to be constantly having issues with them. Tundra motors make good power, but then again owners complain about gas mileage...a lot!

Regards,
Dusty

2010 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92 LSD, dual exhaust

Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM
2011BlackRam
Professional

Originally Posted by LU229
Cyclone429

I`m definately not brand loyal, and the 4th gen dodge is the truck i chose for many a reason.
Hands down, a far better truck overall than ANY ford or chevy. (dodge FINALLY built a nice truck...!!!!)
Realworld Numbers (MPG) My 2010 hemi gets an average of 16city, 22highway most the time.

Must be nice, mine is all city driving with lots of traffic, its been in the 10-11 range for the last 7 or 8 fill ups. Even driving like a grandpa its the best I can get. In the summer its closer to 13-14.

Quick Reply: Truck brands, what would you buy?