4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 AM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

Experiencing dry rot on the stockers on my Ram1500, gonna go with Cooper Discoverer HT plus since I don't off road. Mainly economic decision but also tire seems to be a more capable tire and better ratings than the OEM. Anyone ever try them?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM
crod
All Star

Have u ever looked into the Michelin LTX? It's pretty much hands down the best road tire for a truck u can buy. U can do a bunch of google searching and pretty much come up with those results. I have had them multiple times and on company vehicles as well..... Worth looking into

Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Cooper is exactly what I will be putting on my 12 when it needs rubber. My only beef is I cannot find the weight of the tire.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
thiggins
Professional

I've been using the Michelin LTX/AT's on other vehicles for a while and love them. I'll be replacing my stock tires with them ASAP.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:36 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

Originally Posted by 72combo
Experiencing dry rot on the stockers on my Ram1500, gonna go with Cooper Discoverer HT plus since I don't off road. Mainly economic decision but also tire seems to be a more capable tire and better ratings than the OEM. Anyone ever try them?
These Coopers look great and have some great reviews. I almost went with these same, made in Ohio too ! TreadDepot for $134.00/each plus $101.00 shipping to my zip code. ( could not find any coupons last week for free shipping except for 'TireBuyer' ). Also looked at General Grabber HTS, also rated good but more expensive. I had swapped the Sport stockers for Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's at around 30k and now at 66k, they are beat so I have gotten about 30k from Goodyear and Bridgestone tire brands on truck so far. I must be in the minority here in that I actually liked the Wrangler HP's, no issues with traction, snow, rain etc.. and wanted to keep that OWL look on the Sport ( IMO - looks great with the deep water blue color ). I ended up putting the HP's back on, $880.00 out the door from local Ram dealer, they had them in stock so it was just a 2 hour ordeal last Friday.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:15 PM
gutty96
Veteran

If you have to deal with snow at all where you are, I would HIGHLY recommend the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour. Hands down the the best year round tire I have ever used, (based on fall, to winter, to spring experience, no comment on tread life yet) and I have pretty well used them all.

BFG AT, Bridgestone AT Revo, Michelin LTX MS, Uniroyal AWS, Hercules Terra Trac AT. That is what I can think off of the top of my head I have used in the last 10 years, the Silent Armour is far better in the wet, snow and dry pavement, as a total tire then all of them.

I would recommend them to anyone, but they are not a cheap as the Coopers you are looking at, so it is hard to compare that part of the value.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the Revo's on my 09.

Lost a little MPG, which I expected due to weight and slightly more agressive tread pattern.

After about 20K they lost the grip that they had when new and based on the wear I was not going to get much over 35K with them, which is what the GY's would have gotten me if I ran them to the end. Maybe I drive it to hard, but then again it seems somewhere in the 30s seems to be the norm. To me the cost vs the Coopers made the Revo not worth it. Of course I have yet to run the Coopers. Maybe I will consider the Mich tires, but likely will be Coopers when the time comes.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
72combo
Champion

Well from feel I can tell you the Coopers felt heavier, my tires were not that old. If I would have known I could have weighed one but I did just find this:
Size: 275/60R20/XLSidewall Style: BW Serv Desc: 119T UTQG: 460 A BMileage Warranty: Ply Rating: Run Flat: Max Load: 2998 lbsMax Load (Dual): Max Inflation: 50 psiTread Depth: 12/32"Weight: 48 lbsRim Width: 8" ( 7.5" to 9.5" )Section Width: 11"Tread Width: Diameter: 32.9"Revs Per Mile: 19932

So I guess 48lbs, they seem quiet, nice ride, handle way better than the stock tires. I sold them for 200 bucks with only 20K kms. Guy had bald tires he was happy.

Michelins have been the only tire that I have gotten a flat with and found them noisy on the highway. Now that is from like over 20 years ago, my favourite is BFG Radial T/A but they don't make a 20, have to go to Long Trail.
I hate Goodyear but would buy the Silent Armour, that is what this guy had on his truck bald with 165000kms so around 100k miles/.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:49 AM
huntergreen
Professional

put cooper at3 on wifes grand cherokee, so far good on all road conditions. too soon to tell about tread ware yet.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 PM
flyride

I know a guy that has Goodyear DuraTrac's and had excellent experience with them especially in wet/snow, and they look really good on the RAM.

Quick Reply: New Tires