4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM
democrat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrade

What is the top of the line aftermarket cat back exhaust for my 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi?
I called the dealer and they advised me not to put a performance exhaust because it might trigger an engine code.
If that would happen it might void the warranty. I really want to upgrade but I will not mess with the warranty.
Any advice?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

Top of the line as in performance ? Then my .02 - Corsa if you need the entire catback and like a more raspy sound and quiet as cruising. Magnaflow muffler swap from Mufflex if you already have the integrated factory catbacks or Magnaflow catback setup if not. Magnaflows are deep rumble sounds but will drone. I know because I have a 14" and after 60k miles, it is still loud to me. I believe the catback kit comes with the 18" so not as bad.

Just be sure whatever one or other brands you decide, it is free-flow and not a chambered muffler.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
democrat
Amateur
Default corsa

Can I purchase the corsa muffler only?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 AM
democrat
Amateur
Default mufflex

Bought and installed the 18" mufflex. Sounds great, has some drone noise but is not so bad. It is worse when the engine sounds like it cuts cylinders out but my truck did not come with that option. But it does act strange at certain rpm's, why?

Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by democrat
Bought and installed the 18" mufflex. Sounds great, has some drone noise but is not so bad. It is worse when the engine sounds like it cuts cylinders out but my truck did not come with that option. But it does act strange at certain rpm's, why?
All Hemis have MDS, or to my knowledge they do. I have never seen a HEMI without it anyways. My guess is that its cutting the cylinders and that's where it gets worse. I don't know how bad it is on the 4th gen hemis, but I know on the 3rd gen it was quite horrible. Seems some guys on here were even putting their factories back on, or going out and buying a tuner just to turn MDS off.

Anyways im pretty sure its MDS activating causing your noise, Again to my knowledge MDS is standard and NOT an option on any HEMI.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the 18" magnaflow from mufflex and ditched it for the corsa system and have been extremely happy with that decision. the mufflex had too much drone and thats my main reason for switching. The Corsa system has no drone at cruising speed and loud when you floor it. My buddies say the corsa is louder than my 18" mufflex muffler. And on another note, no you can not just buy the corsa muffler.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade