4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2011 Dodge Ram Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Brezinski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha i have a few questions to ask if you dont mind?
What kinda hp and tq gains did you get? How many mpg did you gain? What kinda features does it have?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

I've dyno'd 2 so far and both had 40 and 50 hp gains. Speculative I know, but two separate trucks had those gains. I have knocked another .3 off a 0 to 80 run over the preloaded tunes on multiple trucks.

I've got a 10% Christmas sale going on so my $599 Trinity is a really good price and that comes with my additional tuning services where I make the preloaded tunes a good bit better.

I have a dyno on my facebook : https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverTuning

Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Brezinski

That's wicked! But I still wanna wait out and see what the bully dog hemi plus is like. Personally I don't need huge horsepower gains, some would be awesome but for me it's the fuel mileage. By the looks of it diablo went for power but I think bully dog will be more for fuel mileage and safer tuning. Guess I gotta wait to find out lol

Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM
josh0642
Default Bully Dog 40410 GT Gas Tuner

I currently own the 40410 GT Gas Tuner that I bought for a 2010 Silverado but traded the Silverado in on a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI. Never have been able to update the GT to work with the 2011 until today. Talked to Bully Dog and they are requiring me to either buy the Hemi Plus tuner or pay $118 to buy the firmware patch for my current GT tuner. I think both is ridiculous. They provided free updates for both the current models of Ford and Chevy. Anyone else out there currently have the 40410? If so I'd be interested in going in halvsies on the unlock code for the latest firmware. Bully Dog says the tune for the 11-12's is already in the 40410, you just buy a code from them to unlock the tune. So sad, milking the customer for this when I originally paid almost $400 for the 40410 early last year.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 AM
JHendo88

I also have the 40410 Bully that I originally had for my 2006 Nissan Frontier and it worked beautifully. Then because of high mileage complications I had to trade it in for my current 2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman with the 4.7L.

I originally hesitated to install my Bully on my new truck because of the implied/UNexpressed 'dealer warranty void' caused by programmers but I talked to Bully and asked them if this was true and it would void my warranty or leave what the stealership called a 'Ghost file' on my ECU, but Bully swore to me that while yes it would register an OBDII device had been plugged in, they would have no way of telling if it was a programmer or a DTC code reader from AutoZone, because they claim it takes a verbatim copy of the ECU, stores it in the SD card, and wipes it clean and installs their ECU values; then upon "uninstalling" the tune is wiped and the stock tune is replaced, unmodified.

So I immediately plugged it in and downloaded my update and attempted to program my truck with apparently a false sense of confidence because I too was asked to purchase a $118 code from Bully separately even though the Ford's and Bow-Ties didn't have to pay anything for their latest greatest updates. Bully even says right next to product on their website "Free Internet Updates", so what gives Bully?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
josh0642
Default Bully Dog Sucks

Originally Posted by JHendo88
I also have the 40410 Bully that I originally had for my 2006 Nissan Frontier and it worked beautifully. Then because of high mileage complications I had to trade it in for my current 2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman with the 4.7L.

I originally hesitated to install my Bully on my new truck because of the implied/UNexpressed 'dealer warranty void' caused by programmers but I talked to Bully and asked them if this was true and it would void my warranty or leave what the stealership called a 'Ghost file' on my ECU, but Bully swore to me that while yes it would register an OBDII device had been plugged in, they would have no way of telling if it was a programmer or a DTC code reader from AutoZone, because they claim it takes a verbatim copy of the ECU, stores it in the SD card, and wipes it clean and installs their ECU values; then upon "uninstalling" the tune is wiped and the stock tune is replaced, unmodified.

So I immediately plugged it in and downloaded my update and attempted to program my truck with apparently a false sense of confidence because I too was asked to purchase a $118 code from Bully separately even though the Ford's and Bow-Ties didn't have to pay anything for their latest greatest updates. Bully even says right next to product on their website "Free Internet Updates", so what gives Bully?
Yea, I feel pretty burned by Bully Dog. What they have done with the 11-12 Hemi is unthinkable. There is no quicker way to lose a customer than by doing what they did. Looks like I will be selling mine at a loss to a friend who has a '12 Chevy and I will be buying the Trinity T-1000.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh0642
Yea, I feel pretty burned by Bully Dog. What they have done with the 11-12 Hemi is unthinkable. There is no quicker way to lose a customer than by doing what they did. Looks like I will be selling mine at a loss to a friend who has a '12 Chevy and I will be buying the Trinity T-1000.
Don't be too quick to judge them. They have had all similar issues on every dodge model. The ram just took the longest to figure out. Ram used a MUCH higher encryption on their 11-12 models, and I do believe the challenger had the same issues. Begs the question on how hard and long its gonna be till the 13's have a tune...

Yes I do agree that bullydog is being stupid with the whole unlock code. BUT I do have to side a little with them too. How much money and time do you think that they have spent to crack that encryption? I know if you talk to many of the 11 ram owners its been almost 2 years to release that. Thats a lot of time and effort from bullydog to get you these tunes. For them to spend all that, just for you to continue using your old tuner. They have to make that profit back somehow....

I have an H&S tuner for my cummins, I have to buy a unlock code to do custom tuning, and also to unlock my nav system to drive with it on...

Companies have to make their money back somehow.

My suggestion to you guys is just sell your current GT tuner, for someone who can use that. Then from that profit just go out and buy the hemi plus.

You can't expect everything for free you know

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM
josh0642
Wink

Originally Posted by Nate769
Don't be too quick to judge them. They have had all similar issues on every dodge model. The ram just took the longest to figure out. Ram used a MUCH higher encryption on their 11-12 models, and I do believe the challenger had the same issues. Begs the question on how hard and long its gonna be till the 13's have a tune...

Yes I do agree that bullydog is being stupid with the whole unlock code. BUT I do have to side a little with them too. How much money and time do you think that they have spent to crack that encryption? I know if you talk to many of the 11 ram owners its been almost 2 years to release that. Thats a lot of time and effort from bullydog to get you these tunes. For them to spend all that, just for you to continue using your old tuner. They have to make that profit back somehow....

I have an H&S tuner for my cummins, I have to buy a unlock code to do custom tuning, and also to unlock my nav system to drive with it on...

Companies have to make their money back somehow.

My suggestion to you guys is just sell your current GT tuner, for someone who can use that. Then from that profit just go out and buy the hemi plus.

You can't expect everything for free you know
So what department do you work in at Bully Dog? My guess would be PR (Damage Control). Funny they had no issue releasing the updated tunes for the latest model years for Ford and Chevy. Also no other programmer/tuner manufacturer has done this same thing. So sad. I'm not expecting anything free as I nearly paid $400 for the GT that promised free updates. All good and fine for them going forward selling new tuners to new customers. These aren't $50 devices that just anyone can afford to buy. It only adds insult to injury when the device you have can work on your vehicle but you have to pay $118 for the unlock code. Should have just released the Hemi Plus and not even made mention of the fact that the 40410 would still work. Guess that PR department is seriously lacking.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh0642
So what department do you work in at Bully Dog? My guess would be PR (Damage Control). Funny they had no issue releasing the updated tunes for the latest model years for Ford and Chevy. Also no other programmer/tuner manufacturer has done this same thing. So sad. I'm not expecting anything free as I nearly paid $400 for the GT that promised free updates. All good and fine for them going forward selling new tuners to new customers. These aren't $50 devices that just anyone can afford to buy. It only adds insult to injury when the device you have can work on your vehicle but you have to pay $118 for the unlock code. Should have just released the Hemi Plus and not even made mention of the fact that the 40410 would still work. Guess that PR department is seriously lacking.
I do not work at all of course, but I am one of the thousands of guys that waited for a tune. I ran an 07 with the bullydog, upgraded to the 2011 when they came out, and expected a tune within 3 months like every other guy who owned them. Only realizing that they were having troubles, and was very much making my old GT useless...

I, as well as MANY others were constantly talking with ALL programming manufactures trying to keep updated on when the tune will be available. Companies, bullydog, diablo, superchips, all were telling us the tune is right around the corner. "The tune is ready all we have to do is crack the computer" month after month... Might I also add one of the BIG leaders (tuning systems) superchips still has not released a compatible tune...

If you also noticed it has just been the HEMI tuning that was released (they had tunes for the 4.7 and cummins), that's what they had issues cracking. They used a 128-bit MILITARY grade encryption on those trucks, which no other company has used. Which in turn would be why we saw tunes for almost every other vehicle, and why it took tuner companies soo long to crack this one. Dodge incorporated that encryption for warranty and vehicle breakdown reasons. They did not want ANYONE access to that system, by golly they sure made it hard...

As far as the free update goes, its not really an update if you think about it... An update consists of taking a tune that is already on the tuner, and updating its coding to get rid of tweaks/etc. What this unlock code is for is to unlock a whole new section of tuning. Because the 2011-12 vehicle was NOT previously supported on that tuner, you need to "unlock it" so the tuner now supports it. Its a new computer, new system, its gonna need new ways to tune it. IMO just be happy that bullydog got it working on the older GT. Basically giving you 1/3 the price of the new tuner. You could have had to pay 400 for a new tuner (which original speculations were upon beta testing) that 118 seems like a bargin to me...

*I am not trying to put anyone to shame from the paragraph below, or get under anyone's skin, but just trying to put things into perspective*

If you think your 118 is bad, try getting into the diesel world such as I have. I paid $1100 CAN for a minimaxx tuner (with a pyro kit). Went to do custom tuning, figured out I need an unlock code. Which might I add is another $300 CAN...Also if I want to unlock the DVD and NAV in motion, thats another 200. YES I KNOW it is a diesel, and I am gonna pay more. BUT I will see almost double the gain just on my lowest setting vs your highest setting. I realize it takes time and effort to make this equipment available to us. Not to mention with Automakers/Governments/environmentalists heckling at tuning companies. Between warranty concerns, and environmental facts. They are all over the diesel world now, I don't give it long before they are on the gasser doorsteps. Your already starting to see it with 128 bit encryption....

Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 AM
JHendo88

Hey Nate, I updated my Bully using the provided update agent and tried installing it on my 4.7L v8 NON-Hemi engine and was asked fer an unlock code. When I called Bully, they told me I had to buy a separate code, even though I didn't have a Hemi, because it was for all 2011-2013 Chrysler ECU's with 4.7L and 5.7L engines. Granted, it is a new generation model, but the Ram trucks have been supported on the Bully since 1988 (diesel) and 2003 (gas) and the engines affected aren't new either. This isn't some new truck that nobody's ever heard of before. The good news is, it doesn't APPEAR to have affected the 6.7L diesels, so those with the 40420 GT Diesel are in the clear, I hope.

And similar to what Josh said, if it was a $50 device and you just paid for your specific vehicle tune, I don't think I'd have been this upset about these recent occurances, but it wasn't, it was $500 for me and now I'm still having to pay for a specific vehicle, just because I chose Dodge over a Ford or Bow-tie. And if I'd bought the pyrometer kit with my Bully, it would have been very close to your H&S kit. I also don't know why you'd need to unlock navigation IN MOTION since isn't that what Nav is for? DVD I get.... if I wanted to be pulled over and fined $2,000 (state law).

Also, how exactly would you know it was a 128-bit 'military grade' encryption???

And just so everyone is aware, the Hemi Plus tuner device (model 40430) is ONLY for the Ram truck or Hemi engine line up. So if you have a 2011+ Chrysler 300c or Dodge Charger or Challenger or Durango, or even a Ram 1500 with the 4.7L v6 or 5.7L v8, you need the "Hemi Plus" device ($587.99 btw) or the "Hemi" unlock code (40410D) for $118 for the standard GT tuner (model 40410). Which the standard GT tuner will work with ANY of the new or previous generations of Ford F series or Chevy Silverado's, and previous generation Rams (gen 4 2010 and gen 3) with OBDII ports without having to pay for an unlock code or in the instance with the "Hemi Plus" device: being limited to just one set of trucks, and it's more than my Bully multi-manufacturer tuner.

I also want to throw this out there: BullyDog is keeping this "Upgrade" for the standard 40410 gas tuner very hush-hush. I had to be told about it by the Bully customer service rep after I couldn't get the device to take on my truck. The "upgrade" for the standard GT tuner is model number 40410D, D as in Delta, and is only accessible through this hyperlink they provided me: http://www.bullydog.com/hemi_tuning.php . I tried searching for it ON THEIR SITE using THEIR search bar. Nothing! Tried Google, only found links to the standard tuner! I'm guessing, for whatever reason, they seriously do not want existing 40410 owners or potential new customers to know the GT Gas can be 'unlocked' for the new 2011+ Rams for a "small fee", of course. Sounds awfully shady what BullyDog seems to be doing. Next we'll be hearing how the next generation 2013 Chevrolet 1500's require the purchase of an 'unlock' code or the next Ford Eco-boost only works with an 'unlock' code. Bad ju-ju Bully.

And just on a separate note, Nate769, you say you don't work at all, of course. And yet you seem to have plenty of money to throw at things like a new 2007 Ram 1500 Laramie (gas), new 2011 Ram 1500 Sport, and a new 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Loaded (diesel), and then begin to list over $2,000 worth of upgrades to throw at the diesel. And yes, my coworker has a 2008 Ram 3500 and with his Diablo can punch in however much HP he wants and he's got it. We all know for raw power, diesel is always better than gas. I applaud you in whatever you did to get to the point where you can throw $150,000 around and not even bat an eye at it; but I know I'm lucky just to be making less than 1/3 of that number in a year and barely be able to afford my new Ram. If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't even have known this site existed. I'd have traded my Ram right back in after finding out about this crap with Dodge and gone and bought a decked out Ford Raptor if I had your kind of money, and be enjoying the mud bogs right now. But the fact is I am one of the lower working class trying to make it by working an honest days job, busting my *** and likely won't have Social Security around by the time I retire, which at the rate the latest retirement ages have been climbing, won't be until I'm 85 still turning a wrench. So again, I applaud you and wish I could have your kind of money, but for me, $118 in addition to what I'd already spent on their 'promises' is a very large insult; and unless BullyDog decides to rectify this situation, they're gonna be one less customer loyal in addition to anybody who asks me for my recommendations on a tuner/programmer, because right now, it's just a fancy, uselss gauge cluster.

Quick Reply: 2011 Dodge Ram Programmers