4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Was it really a crime off roading my truck after two days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Atomic Dog
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was it really a crime off roading my truck after two days?

So I bought my truck, 2k12 express with quite a few extras. I took ot off roading a couple days after buying it. I got a few nice scratches down the side from tree branches(Arizona pin-striping), a ding in the front bumper, some scratches on the rims, but nothing gross.

Everybody says I committed a crime, even my wife, I figure it won't stay new forever, and why not just get it over with. Even a month later my wife still bitches about it.

Seriously. Why but a 4wd truck if you aren't going to use it?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Attono
Veteran

Too right!!! Whose truck is it, anyway.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM
BullyT
Professional

I agree and it's refreshing that someone posts about taking their brand new 4wd off-roading. The only time I would be concerned is if you don't plan to keep the truck too long--then the scratches and dings are going to hurt your resale. I tend to keep my vehicles a long time so resale isn't a concern. I am meticulous about staying on top of mechanical things (oil and fluid changes, basic maintenance, etc.) and I get my Ram oil-sprayed annually to prevent rust...but I won't worry about the inevitable scratches and dings you get over time. That's a nice thing about a pick-up....they're like wine...they get better with age. I like running across old pick-up trucks that are still daily-drivers....faded paint....dented bumpers....trucks that have that functional "weathered" look. I say "good for you!" and enjoy everthing your truck has to offer...especially off road!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Your truck - use it as YOU see fit.

I bought my old '98 Second Gen Ram new off the lot and whacked the front skid plate on a cypress tree stump I did not see below the tall grass on the second weekend I had it. Dented the **** out of it. Bothered me for about a week and then I got over it, LOL...

Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

OK good, because I felt it was inevitable, so why not just get it over with. My truck still has the new car smell and has battle scars!

BTW, went over some gnarly stuff and the truck just shrugged it off even with the crap stock tires. Mud was a bit of a challenge as it has rained for a couple days, I just kept my foot into it...but was it ever covered with mud when I was done.

...and Bully...I hang on to vehicles a good 6 or 7 years. This one maybe longer.

Last edited by Atomic Dog; 10-07-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 PM
marv02
Captain

I use to be the same when I was much younger 18 years old my new at the time $10k 1981 Toyota it's a 4X4 drive it like a 4X4, stick a lift kit big tires and trick it out ASAP and go wheeling.

But now at 50 years old I have a diffrent mind set make my $38k 2012 Crew Cab 4X4 Big horn stay stock Clean no dents ect as long as I can don't void the lifetime factory warranty keep it that way this will be the last new truck I am ever planning to buy ever again.

Trust me the way you look at thing do change when you hit 50 years old.

Quick Reply: Was it really a crime off roading my truck after two days?