4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Ram I Used To Know!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ram I Used To Know!

Been a while since I posted anything, but I just had to celebrate and tell anyone my victory.

When I bought the truck it had all the power you could want. I have 55K on my Ram now, and for the last 25K I have had idle issues with increasing power loss. No codes. I have kept up regular maintenance with the dealer for warranty purposes. I was considering trading it in for a GMC. I could not figure out what was causing the lack of power and the dealer says "No Code No Issue". Well I decided to replace the 02 sensors and BAM! My Ram Is The Truck I Used To Know! Drives like it is on ball bearings. Smooth and fast. Usually the 02 Sensors are good for around 100K. Now I have only been driving it for maybe 100 miles since the change but I am remaining optimistic. Also the EVIC used to take a while to figure out my MPG but now it is instant.

I am a happy man! For Now!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the O2 sensor voltages that the computer is reading are available to the scan tool on the OBD connector under the dash. The dealer should have hooked up the tool and looked for abnormal readings.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

Dealer said they checked everything, and re flashed the ecm. I had no real recourse. They most likely blew smoke up my backside. Im a seasoned mechanic however I'm a dinosaur in comparison to today's technology. I wouldn't know what the correct readings for the 02 sensor would be. I could easily find it on the web but I just don't have time for it much anymore with work and all. I went with changing the sensors just out of a why not idea. I'm just glad it helped.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 AM
aktrite28
Professional

thats pretty interesting, i too have almost 53k miles on the truck and have been feeling the lack of power last 2k miles or so, just doesnt pull the same, how much $ is the o2 sensor/s for the ram? I jus may try that out

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

Look on Ama^on. NKG are the OEM parts. I got the Bosch.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope the bosch works out for you. I`ve never had any luck with bosch parts. MADE IN CHINA

Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

A tech that knows how to use the DRB can watch 02 voltage and how fast reaction is etc. I use to have techs tell me about slow 02,ones with low voltage and such daily. I assume the techs that have looked at your truck were NOT through. I'd be peed.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

As many on here can agree most dealerships service departments are not worth a crap anymore as evidenced on the recent news (South Carolina Camaro SS). My dealership has a lot of very young kids working there, and I do not trust anything they do to my truck. Without any codes they just would not commit to any repairs, or admit to any incorrect readings. What can you do?

As for the China Parts thing it does not bother me as they work. The NGK originals started giving me trouble at around 25K which is a quarter of their expected life. At the price I got them for I can always get a couple of extras to keep in the storage box.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Huntjunkie41
As many on here can agree most dealerships service departments are not worth a crap anymore as evidenced on the recent news (South Carolina Camaro SS). My dealership has a lot of very young kids working there, and I do not trust anything they do to my truck. Without any codes they just would not commit to any repairs, or admit to any incorrect readings. What can you do?

As for the China Parts thing it does not bother me as they work. The NGK originals started giving me trouble at around 25K which is a quarter of their expected life. At the price I got them for I can always get a couple of extras to keep in the storage box.
I`ll likely jinx myself for saying this, but i`m at 51,000K, never once had any codes of any kind, ever, since brand new. You likely had a set that were bad from the get go. What is the BOSCH part number of the ones you bought. (?)

Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Atomic Dog
Professional

I am curious. It used to be in the old days that when an O2 sensor went bad the car would run normal cold, but when warm start to run crappy. Did the or would the truck exhibit similar symptoms now? Run strong until warm up or is the whole cold running good/warm bad thing part of the past?