4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2013 Dodge Ram - All new? Are we getting lied to?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Daleford
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Dodge Ram - All new? Are we getting lied to?

The commercials for the 2013 Dodge Ram are claiming that the truck is "all new". Isn't just the grille that is all new? Looks like the same cab, doors, box, tail lights etc
I hate getting lied to. Ford done this fib with their 09 F-150

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are you're being lied to. Maybe a new feature here or there or a new style, but basically the same truck as the previous one...

Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM
War Horse
All Star

It's creative license. It's exactly how radio stations play for years that they're the all new 99.9 XYZR FM and can get away with it. Even in 2009 the 4th Gen still shared a lot of it's parts with the prior years, yet it was called "all new" even then. The 2013s did get a lot of upgrades, but whether they're all new is up for debate. I wouldn't say so, they're closer to being "substantially improved."

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Islander_212
Rookie

Way more new stuff than you would think. I looked at them this past weekend and the front is changed more than you would think and the rear LED lights certainly look different. The bumpers and fog lights are different and the hood maybe, but it is hard to tell. New frame, engines, transmissions, suspension, etc... The new IP is worth buying the new truck alone... I am thinking about trading the '03 in on a new Laramie Long Horn 4x4 with air suspension. Some big discounts out there already. You also have to consider the V-6 model is a part of the all new and there are a ton of changes there.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the exterior, nothing has really changed too much. Different front end, nice projector headlamps. All lights have been replaced to LED. Just lots of "minor" options.

However as one said, the frame has been reconstructed to allow for better towing weights, also MPG (Lighter, but its all option on that one I think.)

Dodge has now included the illusive grill dampers, which close to maximize aerodynamics, and keep closed to allow for engine bay warmth in the cold. Again, people have become leary about this option just because something else could go wrong.

Also an "all new" air-ride system. Which includes a 4-corner air bag suspention, which has (according to specs) raised payload limits. I believe to that of a 3/4 ton. It is also supposed to be a fuel saver as in "highway" mode it lowers it down to maximize aerodynamics again.

The steering pump is now electronic. Fuel economy in mind again...

An all new FULLY ELECTRONIC 8-speed tranny (not available until march) which means no more shift linkages. BUT could mean new problems.

What the biggest difference is, is in the electronics. The whole computer system has changed, which you will be able to see. An all new EVIC, which is now 7" that will do pretty much everything. A new deck that incorporates voice command much better. The tailgate/rambox now locks electronically with the use of the fob. They have also included the keyless entry and pushbutton start. Which means you don't have to take the key out of your pocket to get in and out of your vehicle, also to start it. Word has it that they are also incorporating 3G in there, so you can use an app on your phone to monitor your vehicle and start/stop/unlock etc.
Then apparently there are increases in speed and reliability out of the electronics, but we won't be able to see that.

To say that a vehicle is "not new" based on looks, would be correct. However deeply looking at it, it could very well be all new. Not always do you need new looks to have a new truck. Maybe there is a reason the ram got motortrends truck of the year. BUT again to each owns opinion...

Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

Ummm...They are all new. At least hopefully they aren't selling you a used one...

Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Mid cycle dressing. Some new features, a fairly big redress for middle of the cycle with some moderate changes inside and out. I would not call it all new, but they can do whatever they want.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM
huntergreen
Professional

i am looking toward the redesign in 2017 or so.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 PM
LU229
Banned

None of the so-called NEW things on these trucks makes me think i should need a new one. It isnt much different than what i already have, so why would i go in the hole for it if i already have a 4th gen truck. Keep in mind folks, all these "NEW" fancy bells & whistles are only going to be on the Laramie trucks.

Oh yeah,
about the 2013 HID projectors... they only come on the Laramie models.
They`re not HID either, they have halogen bulbs in a projector housing.
Maybe by (2013) mid year, the sport and the R/T might come with projectors.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Sounds pretty much all new to me.

Quick Reply: 2013 Dodge Ram - All new? Are we getting lied to?