4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2013 Questions/Specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM
dan87951
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Questions/Specs

I'm thinking of buying a new truck but have a few questions. I really want the 8 speed transmission and the 5.7 Hemi engine. Does anyone have gas mileage figures with this new transmission?

Regarding the engine specs of the hemi, does anyone know what materials are used for the pistons, rods, and crank? Is it an iron engine or aluminum? I'm not your typical buyer as I keep my cars a long time and want to make sure they last.

Is the anti-slip differential a limited slip differential?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

No mileage numbers yet, since they aren't on the street. But with the 8 speed, it should accelerate quicker, drive better, and get better mileage than the 5 speed-equipped trucks.

Cast pistons. Cast block. Aluminum heads. Forged crank. Powdered cast rods.

Yes they have an available limited slip rearend

Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
OCDPLR
Rookie

My two cents about the 8 speed auto is that it is a new transmission, at least to north america. It may be best to avoid it until Chrysler has the bugs worked out of it. In saying that it may have been in use over seas for longer...definitely worth checking into before buying one, the last thing you want is a lemon. Chrysler went through a lemon scenario in 1999 when they brought out the 6 speed manual in the heavy duty trucks, they ran the transmission for only about 1/2 a year before discontinuing them so they could work the bugs out before bringing them out again a couple years later.

As for the Hemi, I have no reserves about them at all. They are a well built engine that you should have no problem running them past 300000 miles if you maintain them. Engine technology has come a long way so the days of engines only lasting 100000 miles are long gone...even if you have a Kia or Hyundai!!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

There may be some electrical bugs that need to be worked out, but they've had the 8 speed behind the V6 for a year or so at least; I haven't heard much bad about them at all. Some different tuning no doubt behind the V8, but it should be a great move for Chrysler/Ram/Dodge.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Used overseas? Who overseas? I thought I read the 8 speeds are designed and built by ZF manufacturing who are here in in America. One of their plants is in Gainesville Georgia. They do the axels in the 1500s and did do Ford manual units. I JUST did a GOOGLE search. That trans is built here in the States. It is a JOINT venture with Chrysler and ZF manufacturing. Here is one link to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Last edited by hounddogg; 01-27-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Did you read your link? It's been in use in BMW, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Audi, etc cars. It's not solely built in America, I believe the Kokomo plant will just build North American units, other applications are built overseas

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dan87951
I'm thinking of buying a new truck but have a few questions. I really want the 8 speed transmission and the 5.7 Hemi engine. Does anyone have gas mileage figures with this new transmission?

Regarding the engine specs of the hemi, does anyone know what materials are used for the pistons, rods, and crank? Is it an iron engine or aluminum? I'm not your typical buyer as I keep my cars a long time and want to make sure they last.

Is the anti-slip differential a limited slip differential?

Thanks

The mileage numbers have not been released yet but I will post them once they come out.

Quick Reply: 2013 Questions/Specs