4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Poor gas mileage. Programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013 | 06:48 AM
allmyTdrunken1
|
Amateur
Default Poor gas mileage. Programmer?

I bought my 09 hemi cc 4x4 2 months ago. The maintenance schedule on car fax couldn't look any better. Although when I went in for an oil change it was recommended I change my air filter soon. A week went by, I filled up my tank and was getting just over 10mpg. 189 miles, 17.9gallons. Not good. So I looked into a K&N drop in filter. Bought it. Disconnected my battery in hopes of resetting the computer. It is now floating around 15 instead of 10-12mpg which I'm happy for. I'd like to see more. Do you think a programmer would help? If so which do you recommend that deletes MDS?
Thanks

Old 02-05-2013 | 07:07 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Programmers generally will not improve mpg's. Although changing shift firmness and raising RPM limiters will likely have a reverse affect on driving habits, and drop mpg's.

If mpg's are your primary concerns for a tuner, you would want to leave MDS enabled, not disabled, highway mileage will benefit with MDS.

Old 02-05-2013 | 08:36 AM
RSDodgelover
Professional

Better mileage=lighter foot + more self control. Tuner=heavier foot + less self control.
You do the math.

Old 02-05-2013 | 09:39 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Better mileage - buy something that doesn't weigh 3 tons

Old 02-05-2013 | 10:49 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

The K&N didn't help mileage. It does flow more dirt. Got to be something else that did. It dosen't flow that much better then the factory filter. The factory intake/filter is really good and flows tons of air. Not like in years previous. A Programmer more then lily will hurt mileage if anything. The truck either has a real issuer8 ts how its driven and the conditions its driven. I'd get a competent Dodge tech to hook up a factory scanner to it and test drive with you.[He can watch the engine parameters and see if any show abnormal.

Last edited by hounddogg; 02-05-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2013 | 03:12 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by allmyTdrunken1
I bought my 09 hemi cc 4x4 2 months ago. The maintenance schedule on car fax couldn't look any better. Although when I went in for an oil change it was recommended I change my air filter soon. A week went by, I filled up my tank and was getting just over 10mpg. 189 miles, 17.9gallons. Not good. So I looked into a K&N drop in filter. Bought it. Disconnected my battery in hopes of resetting the computer. It is now floating around 15 instead of 10-12mpg which I'm happy for. I'd like to see more. Do you think a programmer would help? If so which do you recommend that deletes MDS?
Thanks
Driving habits are the biggest issue, bad habits, bad MPG`s.
How many miles are actually on the odometer... recent tune ups...?
What kind of tires are on your truck, and is the tire pressure correct...?
If you drive alot in traffic, these trucks are just plain horrible on gas. (chubbies, turds, boyotas are worse)
Truck MPG`s are never that good, nature of the beast, you`re driving a 5,000+lb tank...!
Adding a tuner isnt going to get you much if any gains in MPG. (usually worse)
Do not delete the MDS, though annoying, it works towards better MPG`s on the highway.
If you dont like the MDS while city driving, drop your shifter into 5th gear, this will shut the mds feature off.
Also keep in mind, this time of year, we are all on winter blended gasoline. You`ll lose mpg due to this fact alone: longer warm ups, road conditions etc etc etc

I use the K&N drop-in filter, gained slight amount in MPG`s.
Even though some people disagree, i see mpg gains in mine over the stock filter.
My 2010 4x4 hemi qc
My city mpg = 14
My highway mpg = 22
89 octane (w/10% ethanol blend)
Valvoline 5w20 synthetic oil, oem oil filter

Last edited by LU229; 02-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2013 | 03:16 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by power sedan
programmers generally will not improve mpg's. Although changing shift firmness and raising rpm limiters will likely have a reverse affect on driving habits, and drop mpg's.

If mpg's are your primary concerns for a tuner, you would want to leave mds enabled, not disabled, highway mileage will benefit with mds.
agree..!

Old 02-05-2013 | 04:56 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Any driving benefits from MDS. Mine is in MDS mode 80% or more. I played with it the other day. I drove up a road with rolling inclines. I managed to stay in the 35 mph range up and down this rolling road for 3 miles. I left my home the other morning. It was 30 degrees. MDS came on when temp gauge hit about 100 and at 12 mph. I stayed at about 12/15 mph and slowly accelerated to 25 when it popped off. I just couldn't' maintain it any longer. I can hear it come on and off with ease I'm so use to it. I turn it off,drive a while doing whatever I need to do. Flip it back on and slowly but surely the MPGs start a click at time going up and up.

Old 02-06-2013 | 09:15 AM
gutty96
Veteran

I seem to have the opposite view on MDS than the above posts.

Since deleting it, the ridge by the way is far smoother without it going in and out all the time. Once you realize what it is, you will notice it all the time.

I have notice NO difference in MPG, if any it could possible be better. It is winter so it is hard to tell, but even on long highway trips with 87 winter blend in the tank, I am having no problem maintaining 12L/100kms (19.5MPG) which is as good or better then I did with MDS on.

Now, I will really be able to test this in the spring, when I tune back to 91 (no ethanol) and the winter blend is gone.

Old 02-06-2013 | 01:17 PM
allmyTdrunken1
|
Amateur

I drive 7 miles to work one way. It warms up for about 3-5 minutes on below freezing days. I drive about 57mph with the cruise on not hot rodding it at all. I drive rather easily knowing its going to consume more gas if I did. I figured the mpg display would show higher than 13.x on my drive to work.
Tires are Goodyear duratrec lt285/60/20. 3.55 gears
I realize its a tank and was hoping for an improvement after my magnaflow and K&N upgrade. I do plan on using it to tow my camper come spring. Just trying to make it as efficient as is powerful all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage. Programmer?