4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Any way to get the new ipods to work with the ram?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any way to get the new ipods to work with the ram?

My car was broken into and my ipod was stolen, so I bought a new one. The new IPod I bought has that new lightning cable that all the new ipods and iphones have. It works fine connected to my other ipod devices at home (a receiver and a portable stereo), but it won't read in the Ram. I tried two different cables and tried connecting it several times.

Has anyone been able to get them to work? I feel like if other people were having those problems I would have read about it by now... but I know there are different old ipod to new ipod adapters and the such, so if anyone has it working I'd love to hear how they did so.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
xsdbs
Captain

pretty much most of the iPods will work with the Uconnect system. Which radio do you have? Can you describe what is happening when you plug the iPod cable into the USB connector?
Your vehicle is a 2011, is this correct? If it is and is one of the following radios (RES, REQ, RBZ, RHB) have you had any of the TSB SW updates for the Uconnect system performed.

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
My car was broken into and my ipod was stolen, so I bought a new one. The new IPod I bought has that new lightning cable that all the new ipods and iphones have. It works fine connected to my other ipod devices at home (a receiver and a portable stereo), but it won't read in the Ram. I tried two different cables and tried connecting it several times.

Has anyone been able to get them to work? I feel like if other people were having those problems I would have read about it by now... but I know there are different old ipod to new ipod adapters and the such, so if anyone has it working I'd love to hear how they did so.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by xsdbs
pretty much most of the iPods will work with the Uconnect system. Which radio do you have? Can you describe what is happening when you plug the iPod cable into the USB connector?
Your vehicle is a 2011, is this correct? If it is and is one of the following radios (RES, REQ, RBZ, RHB) have you had any of the TSB SW updates for the Uconnect system performed.
My old 5th generation Ipod worked fine, but my newest generation with the lightning cable (7th generation ipod nano) does not. I have the RBZ (with HDD and touchscreen, no nav).

I did install an update about a year ago via flash drive someone had on the forum. Has there been a necessary update since then, or is there a way to find the newest updated software? I can give that a shot. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arachnyd,

You can contact a Dodge dealer parts department to review the most recent updates available in relation to your VIN#. If you have any questions or need help locating a dealer please feel free to PM me.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:18 AM
xsdbs
Captain

That's an update that I had posted from the year before. There was another on released around June of last year but it was only for streaming audio sound quality. The first update was for when a person plugged in an iPod / Iphoneto the docking cable, there would be an "error occurred" message on the radio after Uconnect tried to read the iPod data.
I have used the Iphone 5 with the lightening cable with no issues. I think that 1 of my co workers has that new nano. I will see if I can borrow it and check it out. I'll get back about it, ok.

Edited info:
This nano and lightening cable works fine with my RHB radio which is the same as the RBZ except that it has navigation. I also used it on an RES radio which is a non touchscreen radio with no issues. You are using the remote mounted USB connector and not the one on the radio, correct?

My old 5th generation Ipod worked fine, but my newest generation with the lightning cable (7th generation ipod nano) does not. I have the RBZ (with HDD and touchscreen, no nav).

I did install an update about a year ago via flash drive someone had on the forum. Has there been a necessary update since then, or is there a way to find the newest updated software? I can give that a shot. Thanks!

Last edited by xsdbs; 05-31-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Arachnyd, Have you been able to get that iPod to work yet?

That's an update that I had posted from the year before. There was another on released around June of last year but it was only for streaming audio sound quality. The first update was for when a person plugged in an iPod / Iphoneto the docking cable, there would be an "error occurred" message on the radio after Uconnect tried to read the iPod data.
I have used the Iphone 5 with the lightening cable with no issues. I think that 1 of my co workers has that new nano. I will see if I can borrow it and check it out. I'll get back about it, ok.

Edited info:
This nano and lightening cable works fine with my RHB radio which is the same as the RBZ except that it has navigation. I also used it on an RES radio which is a non touchscreen radio with no issues. You are using the remote mounted USB connector and not the one on the radio, correct?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Arachnyd, Have you been able to get that iPod to work yet?
No I didn't. Just like any other rational person, when my car doesn't do what I want it to, instead of fixing it I just switch cars. I haven't driven the truck in like 2 weeks. Been thinking about buying a new truck and this kind of helps fuel that concern, but I'm going to at least try the software update and probably take it back to the dealer for some warranty repair concerns. Thanks for following up though. I'll look for that software today and report back.

Edited info:
It must be a software issue then. I'll search to see if I can find the new software- Does anyone know where to find it?

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

A year and a half ago I PMed you about the ipod read issue... funny. I also follow you on wranglerforum (I'm Ram n CJ)

Thanks for your help back then- I'll try upgrading ot your new software and see if that helps at all. Otherwise at least with bluetooth fixed I can just stream the darn ipod!

Last edited by Arachnyd; 06-05-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Arachnyd & Ram n CJ,
So you did the update for the "error occurred" issue and are still having problems. The other update that I have on the forums is for bluetooth streaming audio sound quality. It's for the 2011 vehicles with the "RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB" radios only.
It can be found at the link below and the instructions to perform are the same as the other update.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cu...S_uconnect.upd

Can you tell me exactly what happens when you do try to use the new iPod & Lightening cable? I may be missing or overlooking something. Thanks

A year and a half ago I PMed you about the ipod read issue... funny. I also follow you on wranglerforum (I'm Ram n CJ)

Thanks for your help back then- I'll try upgrading ot your new software and see if that helps at all. Otherwise at least with bluetooth fixed I can just stream the darn ipod!

Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arachnyd,

Sounds good!

Keep us posted after the software upgrade. I hope everything gets resolved.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any way to get the new ipods to work with the ram?